Friday, June 22, 2007

Big Head, Light Heart


And my sister asked me yesterday, knowing me stay in Ubud till Monday, What would you do in the weekend? I laughed. Every day is weekend here, I don’t have luxury to have weekend because every day is holiday and… work. Today I realized I only have two full days left. Where all those days gone?

I repeated my morning luxury by opening all windows early but today I had visitor. A gecko went thru one window and stayed silently behind cabinet but still I noticed his presence because of the smell. Ugh! We froze face to face not knowing what to do. If he is smell-less, I would be happy to share space but… I had to ask Pak Agung to come ha ha.

Ayu came on time. She liked my space. Weather was good with weak sunshine. We are ready to go. I wore helmet!!! First time in my life I had big head. I borrowed it from Mbok Yan. It’s surprisingly light. I always thought that it will hurt my neck. No. So on we go!!

It was fun. I know now, I need to have windbreaker to be an Ubud-ian. It’s really cold although the sun shining brightly. I asked Ayu to drive thru Tegallalang area. We stopped by some places to see what’s available in the village. It’s plenty actually. Things we don’t see from car.

I stopped by Maria’s shop quite long. She sells art from Timor. I know her years now and she is such a businessman. She is not tired of contacting me every now and then, to stick her shop in my mind. She is successful. I bought many wooden sculptures big and small. I bought a lot. I’m happy with my shopping. At least I can start a fun Pallava and Frangipani soon.

Ayu didn’t know where the famous nasi campur in Banjar Teges so we had a good laugh realizing that I am more Ubud-ian. We had chit-chat over nice meal. Ayu is 23 years old, has a one-year boyfriend working in cruise. She told me her piece of life with twinkle in her eyes. I like her.

I bought Balinese textile (specific design in gold print) to make tote-bag with Benny and lampshade (new idea). The guy who sold it laughed when I said I will use some small prints for gift. Are you going to use these all for gifts? (I bought 40 pieces) Ha ha… He didn’t know that I haven’t even processed the idea, just keep the unique stuffs first for later.

I closed the day by getting massage from Mbok Yan, and later having banana fritter and papaya juice by Penestanan street. It’s good to not have a book to read some time, I had a chance to watch how Balinese spend their coffee-time. They got together in porch having meat balls and shouted to each other. It seems they know every one who passes the street. So nice, so merry. Like my day.

Photo of Ayu and me on motor bike.