Break and Learn

Tuesday, June 5
I didn’t expect anything from the day. I felt happy in the morning. I got insight out from nowhere. This morning I felt that I could release some more expectations. Well, actually the past few years I have managed to have fewer egos but of course I still hold some expectations – like normal. What I felt this morning is like opening more doors. Not easy to describe but really special feeling.
Benny and Simon looked happier too. It was fun. We decided to consider this trip as life break. They are busy persons back home, they just got back from an exhibition in Japan a few days before Singapore. This is a real holiday they said, a holiday with opportunity, whatever the result in the end. Simon invited me to join them to Tokyo gift fair next September. Ya, we have formed a good travel team with nice division: I take care of air ticket, Benny accommodation, and Simon kitty for local transport and eating.
I dropped Gill’s belief in the first half an hour, I shopped at Gill’s neighbor stall – the flattened bottle lady. I decided to share with neighbors. Buy. I asked her to take out all of her stock to select. I bought two: one flat with handle for cake and one small with label. And later, I also told Simon that I exchange his air ticket with shibori-technique silk shawl in red on brown. Very me. Really nice.
The crowd was even less than yesterday. We visited each other and had a good time bonding. I met many nationalities, in a fair like this, everyone is artist who works from home. That’s the beauty. We also learned about the fair, which is better than the other and why.
I had to delay my lunch two hours because I met Jane and Nellie – friends from Jakarta who live in Singapore now. They also told us about Singapore market. More learning. It was already 16:00 when Simon and I went to next building to get Hainanese chicken rice. Simon shared more of his business life story. He is man with a lot of experiences as important arty textile maker in Indonesia. I could imagine the complication of running a business with many staffs especially in the days after big earth quake in Yogya last year. I learned more about the life of a business: it’s not an instant work. It’s a dedication.
I felt lighter after lunch. I didn’t make a good business this trip but I got many from the experience. That’s what I told Chumkie, the organizer, who showed her concern about her fair. I told her not to worry because the group from Indonesia learns. She suggested us to share one big table next time and send two attendants only. That’s a good idea. We discussed the possibility and technicality. Gill was so nice to offer herself to look after everybody.
Anyway, Simon and I had a good walk after lunch. We decided to roam the shopping mall. I stopped by a bead shop selling ethnic stone from Tibet and China areas. I was attracted to Dzi bead since long for its appearance, sexy ethnic. I learned more about the bead in that shop. The bead is made of ceramic by monk who chanting while making it. It gives good energy to the bead, they say.
I learned more and more about other powerful beads as they took out their collection. Simon was so nice to wait but he enjoyed learning too. I decided to buy an old nine-eyed Dzi bead and they gave away two terracotta-color beads with round-square for balance and Hitler swastika for I’m not sure what (it looks cool). I was thinking to buy the copy too for men necklace but I could not think of investing more on business. I have to see what I can do more with what I already have now.
Gill shared me good news. When she held the Dzi bead in her hand, she confirmed that the bead has vibration and nothing in the other two beads. She checked again and again. I could not do but I could see.
We finished the day happily. Pack up with lots of laughter. We were so efficient. Three of us could handle the entire load. No wonder they are happy to have me in the team, I’m small, don’t eat much, but can carry same load ha ha. It was fun.
We had more fun in the evening. Roaming shopping malls and learning more about displaying. I bought a nice book reviewed by Oprah A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I would start to read in this trip. I’m happy to be able not to buy more books this time.
We ended up having a nice seafood platter for dinner. Like celebration, we ate in a restaurant! Ha ha, yes, we were in many food courts since we got here. I really enjoyed my time.
Photo of Simon and Benny with our seafood platter.