New Experience

Monday, June 4
I got up with body aching. My luxury room has hard mattress. My. I’m yoga but not well trained to sleeping in hard surface. Hm. I looked around and found way to save my next three nights. I got an idea.
Time went slow. I felt like I had long morning. Internet connection makes difference. I had no connection so more than half of my morning activity gone. It’s good though, I read Robin Sharma again. I had finished my writing last night but could not post in Blogger.
The boys made no noise so I thought they slept all morning. I was a bit nervous, around 8:00 I sent text. We got The Fair venue a bit later but okay. My table had set up last night, so Benny and Simon. I helped Benny to decorate his stall last night. It was fun sitting in the opposite and gave direction. I did it because I needed to sleep. I pushed him to do quickly. We got in hotel after midnight.
I felt fresh to start the day. It’s good to feel positive. I met the organizer, Chumkie, for the first time. She was not happy because of her swollen foot. A table fell on her. But this Indian lady was so nice, she treated me like her kid. She thought I’m funky and sweet, so Gill, my friend from Jakarta.
I know Gill just recently after I’m back in bazaars but it seems she has known me long before. She remembered my long hair! Later I know that she is actually a Singaporean. She looks like British, her accent and elegance yet funky style. I like her. Her Ming jewelry – jewelry with Ming shards set in silver – is also nice. She has sold it long time in Jakarta where she lives over 18 years.
My day was filled with bonding new friends. Before half day over, I had reset up two neighbor’s stalls. Many didn’t pay much attention on the color of tablecloth as base color. The stall next to Gill is unique. He sells flattened bottle. It’s so clever to ‘soft’ bottle in kiln for three days to flatten the glass without loosing its shape (body and neck). He keeps the label too so everything looks real only flat. It’s an idea to make a cheese plate or keep a memorable bottle in frame. I was itchy to buy one but Gill kept reminding me that I need to earn first. She’s right.
And I wanted more: little Buddha painting, silver bracelet with exotic charms, Chinese little shoes, and Chinese wedding headdress. Ugh! I took Gill’s advice though. I should behave like a good girl.
The crowd was okay. It’s flowing in all day but I must say the ladies were not focused on shopping. I could understand. Ladies like to window shopping more than the shopping. Gill and I attended each other’s stall when one was away for natural errands: hungry and restrooms :-)
Just before the day ended, I sold many of Gill’s pendants and rings. She got a lot from the sales. I thought she made a lot all day but she said she pushed people more. Ya, I saw her talking to whoever stopped by her stall. It is good because some decided to buy. Things that I’m not good at. I’m good in explaining when someone asks but not good in attracting people to stay and listen. Grr…
We had a good laugh. I suggested us to make ‘tour of duty’ tomorrow. I attend Gill’s, Gill attends Benny’s, and Benny attends mine (he has proven that he could sell!). We change every 3 hours. Why not? We will see if that could work on the second day.
Sales is not good for everybody except for Gill of course. Still I consider lucky because I met Vonny, owner of a good reputation ‘craft supermarket’ in Kemang. She offered me to have a corner in her busy shop as the only shop selling such in Kemang area. It’s been years now. I’m kind of happy to get the opportunity to have my necklace there rather than just sitting at home. And it’s nice to realize that I’m chosen because of my creation. My day ended nicely despite of my sales :-)
I sat in sidewalk by Starbuck in Orchard to get wifi connection while waiting for Gill to do her emails in an internet shop. I replied to some emails and blogged. We had nice dinner after that. Hilarious dinner. Simon is fun with his Yogya attitude. We teased him again and again. Gill likes him too.
I’m happy with my new experience.