Friday, June 1, 2007

Pro Bono Work


I could not believe that today is the last day of May. Half year has almost passed. What have I done so far? Looking back, I think I’m not bad this year. I have created new art and contributed to community in the past five months despite the ‘uncertain' feeling in the first months of 2007. I’m satisfied and that’s not a full stop, I would do more and better the rest seven months.

I visited BA museum for the first time today. Shame on me, I should have visited long time ago, even right after the museum was established six years ago. I had too many other interesting things that I could not focus on some important places like this one.

The revamp team from the Heritage planned the visit to get the feeling of the place before contributing ideas for the revamp plan. There were kids from 19 middle schools around Jakarta participating in painting competition held by the museum. The theme was “hero”. It’s nice to see young kids painting with all their hearts to create the best. Some are really good. So we were walking among the kids on the floor to have a good look of memorabilia and museum description. It’s an interesting museum but had less ‘beat’ of the great life of BA.

I enjoyed the short tour and meeting in the end at the library. Very nice library consists of 3000 interesting books. I loved it! I would definitely come again for the books. I don’t have much energy left to write more about the museum because I just got back from Lindy’s farewell party. I just copied my view of the visit that I wrote without delay to be submitted before I left this evening. I don’t like taking notes, I rely on memory much since I was in school so it’s better to write down quickly before it disappears. Enjoy!

1. The museum has limited space therefore we need to be creative to present the whole story of BA’s life for people who know “nothing” about BA. I have the impression that the arrangement today is for people who know (even a bit) of BA history. Lack of label / storyboard is one indicator. We rely on the story told by guide / museum staff who doesn’t speak fluent English. Example: the medallions (it’s not accessory although it looked like one), the toys he liked to use to ‘attract’ women’s attention, the watches and gun of course, the Hanuman costume and Javanese masks he used for dancing (how many of us realize that he also danced?), and I believe there are many more stories ‘hidden’ in the museum staffs’ memory or book that can only be retrieved when we ask.

2. I feel the division now is fine because of, again, its limited space (and security reason perhaps): life story downstairs and paintings upstairs. Dewi Soekarno’s painting on easel downstairs near his memorabilia helps to know his painting style (for people who know nothing) and maybe hang a painting with animal subject (smaller size) in the “oleh-oleh” (souvenir from travel) room where we see many animal figures. Although not sure, I feel that those figures must have ‘contribution’ in his animal study. I feel those are enough to give introduction to visitors about his style and life before they enter second floor for more of his paintings.

3. The coat showcase is too occupying the space especially because it is located in ‘prime location’. It might have important story too, who knows, so again it needs a storyboard. If it is not the case, then we could find other objects related to his daily life to be exposed in the showcase together with ‘some’ coats. Or, repro pictures of BA wearing the coat or other important memorabilia shown in same showcase. Then the showcase can complete the whole life story of BA downstairs.

4. I agree with the idea of rotating paintings (with others in the storage) in the second floor according to theme. The museum has set 3 themes: portrait, nature / animal, and off-style (study / experimental). I haven’t studied what other styles the museum has in the storage but I guess the three themes have covered all themes. Or, we could set the hall (the one with mezzanine) for ‘uncategorized theme’ but it has only small walls for 1-2 paintings only. I didn’t take picture so I could only remember the space vaguely.

5. The library is interesting. I wonder where all those books were before being stored in one of the rooms now. It must be all over house and bedroom if no room was designed specially for library. It would be nice to know how those books spread. Let’s hope the family has picture of the original house setting to complete the life story downstairs.

More about books. The staffs haven’t finished taking stock of the books. Of 3000 books, only 500 books have keyed in computer, the rest are still in handwritten draft.

6. Affandi book by Hammerskjold I saw in the library has inspired me. It’s a compilation of articles, pictures, testimonials, and anything ever published in media. It could be a nice long term project.

7. I have a feeling that the museum staffs haven’t realized yet what the Heritage going to do with the museum. They know but not clear. We also discovered some facts today about what they have planned, such as their plan to hold a logo design competition some time soon (not in the calendar yet) and put signage in each room door, also the museum has held a meeting to discuss about how to present the museum better with Amir (Indonesian art expert, curator, auctioneer) as one of the speakers. My impression is the staffs have initiated the idea to ‘revamp’ the museum recently.

What if we have a ‘general’ meeting with the museum staffs to merge their plan and our plan before taking the proposal to the museum head? I think involving museum staffs from early stage would be nice in long term cooperation. Vic can chair the meeting in both languages.

8. I have an idea to have Amir as ‘advisor’ (or whatever proper term) in the team because of his knowledge on Indonesian art and also because he has known by and worked with the museum staffs for some times. I could contact him anytime if everyone agrees with the idea.

9. Debbie asked me my idea to bring more Indonesian to visit the museum. I found it ‘not easy’ because not many Indonesians are interested in someone’s history except they work in art business, study art, or are simply interested in Indonesian art. Holding regular events in the museum is not easy to conduct because of the limited space.

I see the space in the back of the house is not suitable for painting exhibition because it’s open and humid. So I don’t have idea yet what to do to attract more visitors except putting the museum in art calendar in any media in Jakarta especially when the museum just rotates its collection. People who are interested would like to check if they know.

Photo of kid in painting competition at BA museum.