Thursday, June 28, 2007

SO LOong Day


Wednesday, June 27

I got up fresh after fallen asleep last night. The air conditioner made noise that I had to turn off but good it kept nice temperature when I awoke. I finished my yesterday blog-post and sent text message to Vic asking him to just go out – naik becak. It’s already 7:00 when we were in becak again.

Solo was quiet, I thought, but it seems Solo is hardly jammed. Traffic was nice and not so many people around. I forgot the feeling of little town in Java. Each town has different atmosphere. Malang is busier with motor bike and public transport. Yogya with bicycle. Bali? People walk with local outfit.

We had bubur ayam by Manahan stadium. The eating complex was busy with people after sport, before work, or like us – just come for eating. I notice that orang Solo enjoy eating out. Food stalls are every where, many kinds of food. Even last night I saw some food stalls opened after 22:00, they must have late night customers. Unlike in Jakarta where many food stalls are for dining, in Solo many are snack stalls – local drinks with ginger or anything fried (banana, tofu, eggs).

We were happy when we heard a street singer singing traditional song again. The group starts early apparently. And when the singer sat on the floor next to me she said Panggih malihAaarghh we meet again?! I looked at her but could not recall her face. Vic said she sang shortly when we had drinks last night. I didn’t notice. I was sooo happy. I let her finish one song. Actually I enjoyed the sitar very much, it’s loud. So nice to meet the group again. The singer is beautiful.

We had a slow day. We were in internet in our rooms till quite late, 10:00. Vic was busy with his clients. I decided to skip Museum Batik because I wanted to use the limited time to check out stuffs. That’s more important. Mas Budi took us to an old wood shop near hotel that I spotted in the morning. Vic got a nice glass cabinet and I bought myself a gift – an old wooden ironing table with foldable legs. It didn’t take me long to decide what I want. I always like narrow table for foyer and this funky table is just perfect for my Ubud house. I also bought old small drawers to keep necklaces in Pallava. I like my purchase.

It was noon. Mas Budi took us to have ayam goreng Mbah Karto for lunch. It’s Vic’s favorite. It was good. Crispy ayam kampung with nice sambal. I could eat more if I want because it’s very very nice.

Ah we only had an hour and half before airport. We could not miss Pasar Triwindu while in Solo, so we went there for quick checking. It’s a nice market, always my favorite. Mama and Papa used to take me and my sister to this market when we were kids. Not many old things available now so they mix with new bronze statues from Trowulan. It’s okay though. We had fun treasure hunting, checking out stuffs among thousands of items cramped in small space.

This market is also second-hand market selling used machine spare parts. Stalls have specialization, nice division among stalls. I love metal so I checked out what they have. I still have an idea to make metal installation some day.

We didn’t have time so we ran. I could shop quickly but not in limited time. It turns me off a bit but I found things to buy while waiting for Vic getting a little kettle with dragon and fish – a bunch of old forks and rice spoon for my idea to create mobile. I’m satisfied with my last minute purchase. When it comes, it comes.

Traffic in Jakarta was good so I decided to meet Hess and Vicky for dinner in Plaza Indonesia. It was fun. Vicky speaks very good Indonesian and we had a good laugh when she shared her experience with Indonesian speaking Indonesian. She has learned the language twenty years now and she speaks with heavy Yogya accent. And later she shared her love life story too. It was hilarious. She is a nice naïve girl with twinkle in her eyes. I like her.

I got home almost midnight. All tired but happy with my long day.

Photo of the street singer group and a kiosk selling only spring in Pasar Triwindu.