Thursday, May 1, 2008

Where am I?


Nice morning as always. I felt excited about my plan for the day. I freed the day for this main activity in the afternoon. Sembahyang di Pura Samuan Tiga. I happened to pass my favorite pura the other day when noticed the pura looked merry because of the Odalan (the anniversary of a pura). I found out later that this special pura (the only pura for non Hindu) is also special for people who do business. Hm!

I could only come on the last day that is today before the two closing days. I stayed home all day as I don’t want to busy myself before going. I had selected my kebaya a few days ago. I have a loaded closets that needs thorough digging to find clothes I have in mind so better do days before. I like the idea of wearing baju adat to pura. It’s neat and full of good intention. Like people go to mosque and church, they wear clean and good clothes. Very nice and sacred.

It was a quiet day at home. I enjoyed so much. Ubud had no rain for days but not today. The rain started just an hour before we were meant to meet. Ya, I went with Mbo Yan and Ayu. I insisted on going by motorbike like the common Balinese going to pura. Mbo Yan felt the same so after waited almost an hour we decided to just go in the heavy drizzle. It was fun. We were lightly wet getting in the merry pura in Pejeng. It is special. For no particular reason, I really like this pura. It’s old and magical.

I carried canangsari and incense stick for the sembahyang. We did the sembahyang in three different locations: in the Pura Beji by the river, in the right side of wantilan (main hall) for the business, and in the wantilan for closing where we were given rice to fix on forehead and chest that closes to heart. It was raining hard when we waited to sip the tirta (holy water) from the priest assistant. We couldn’t move an inch. I closed my eyes listening to the tinkling bell and felt the rain trickling down my body. Where am I?

We stopped by Ubudian favorite bakso place to warm ourselves. Yes, we were all wet. Our batik clung to our legs. We giggled a lot on the way because Ubud was dry! We made a stop in a cake shop to select cake for my shop opening. We giggled even more. The shopkeeper had a hard time comprehending our plan. We spoke in three languages (Indonesian, Balinese, Javanese) and we all ended up like the Dumb and Dumber. It was fun. I think I’d been a bit odd anyway. I mean my idea is odd for the Balinese because they don’t have similar idea about how to present cake. Anyway, I haven’t decided what to do. My homework for tomorrow.

I told my good friend that I would sleep smiling. I have a nice day…

Picture of two doves on the top of my neighbor’s roof this morning.