Sunday, May 4, 2008

Why does it take long to prepare?


Today is tilem. It’s the opposite of purnama when the moon is full, tilem literally means 'sleeping'. It’s zero moon and considered hari baik as well. Good day to start anything. Therefore I marked the starting of my new shop by moving some tables from Pallava. Ngurah was nice to do it early in the morning before he went home for palebon of relatives.

It seems that I haven’t ended the one-month renovation. I asked Pak Mangku to come again today and worked some more of my ideas. He works fast but my orders are also a lot. Install this and that, fix this and that, paint this and that… As a pemangku (priest) he appears patient. He is patient, it’s me who demand everything to be ready now. I couldn’t wait to place the artworks in the shop and enjoy the look.

Aga did a good job on the shop sign. It’s strange me that I don’t make the shop sign shout out loud. I chose to use sandblast sticker that has subtle effect on the window glass. I must say, it looks modern and elegant. Even the Ibu who owns the warung next to the shop, lifted her thumb Bagus! I bowed to thank her. She’s so excited. She often stood by the door observing the inside. I like her since first saw. I know her warung would become my 'kitchen' later. She serves hot drinks and many kinds of fruit.

Uh I’m satisfied. I have also interviewed Metri, Ayu’s senior workmate to be my financial controller. She would be my Linda in Ubud. She will help me with inventory, pricing, and financial reports. She once worked with a well-known Bali antique shop for eight years. She got the experience but more… I like her brain and enthusiasm. I need that more in a staff. I told a good friend I could sleep well with her working with me. Now I could…

I only have two days to prepare the shop before the melaspas, the opening ceremony by Pak Mangku. I’m a bit nervous because the physical shop hasn’t been ready yet. Time flies. I have ordered cakes to be distributed among close friends and business colleagues. What else do I need?

Picture of the shop this afternoon.