Thursday, May 22, 2008

Can I figure it out?


I’ll start diet tomorrow. Sounds familiar? Yes. I feel like saying that everyday now. For one, I need to pay attention to my cholesterol level. Then, my flexibility and shape. I realize that it’s not easy to maintain both issues when traveling, same with when have guest at home. Biorhythm and life pattern in general change subtly but very sure.

I observe my weight that tend to show less the past days but my hips… what is that curvy shape? I lose many physical activities like driving, being in-out of car, being baked in Bali heat, mopping and washing… One good thing I notice is the progress of my insect bite mark that gradually disappears now. The pigment is back. I’m excited but still continue wearing long sleeved top that becomes my new favorite now.

I explored another huge mall today. Of course it’s huge, it’s MegaMall. I was interested in checking out the art galleries there. While I tried not to shop, I liked to explore shops that have nice window displays. I found some shops have put a lot of efforts to make the shops look unique and warm. Some looked funky too. I really enjoyed.

Filipino art is classic. It seems that contemporary arts haven’t got a place here yet. Many paintings are realism – Amorsolo style. It’s nice but it reminds me of the past. There’s one nice gallery called Old Manila that shows stuffs from the old time, not a hundred years old, but old enough to feel the past decade. It’s interesting.

It boosts my spirit to see people’s determination in introducing a new art to people with common taste. In Bali, my eyes are entertained by strange arts created by people from around the world. Nothing new. But here where the contemporary arts are rare, the work of a Filipino woman artist I saw in one gallery in the mall is WOW. I could see myself creating such art. It’s junk art! I love the way she marries wood and rusty metal (nails, hinges, rulers, door knobs…). I’m envious for I haven’t come to the realization of my long time idea. It took me two years to realize my dream to create a necklace line a year ago (or two?). So how long would take me to create such artwork?

I was so engrossed by the artwork. I checked the price. I like the idea of treating myself. It’s not big but has substantial weight because the two legs of this funky sculpture are made of… old hammers. My chance of owning it is slim because I have to find one who likes to keep it for me until next time I'm able to take home. I will figure it out. See what I decide in the morning.

Picture of a pillow in a mall’s park that I don’t have idea of the purpose since I saw scattered some.