Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Can you switch the lamp on?


Another lamp turns off. A friend commented on the story about another friend leaving Indonesia for good. I processed it for a while. She’s right. Friends are like little lights in our life and knowing that one wouldn’t be around anymore like turning one light out.

I’m used to experience ‘having a light out’ after more than seven years belong to the Heritage where the majority of its members are expatriate. Before summer is the time when many companies move their executives, that’s when the lights turn off one by one. I hardly thought of me who would be the one who leaves until my two good girlfriends in Jakarta shared their ‘sentimental action’ that I appreciate so much. Both were in shopping spree at Frangipani today. They bought many nice big things as memento of the existence of the shop. Sounds a bit too much? They said they feel sad to see Frangipani closing down.

Anyway, now I understand the reason why being the one who leaves is easier than otherwise. I miss but I don’t cling to the feeling of losing of good friends or nice events in Jakarta. I form a new circle of friends in my new place and attend other events. And later I realized, I actually got bonus by being away from my old friends. They come to visit me! And they also text and call me more often. When I'm in Jakarta, we make time to meet unlike in the past when 'we meet when we meet'. That’s a real bonus to my new circle of friends here.

When I drove to meet my British Singaporean friend today, I realized that in the end I see my old friends more after I moved to Ubud. Like this girl (of 58!), I saw her more here than in Jakarta. We also texted each other more now. The other day I talked for an hour with my ‘coffee’ mate in Jakarta. I miss but I don’t miss her. How could we miss each other more? We are busy with our life too although we appreciate sharing nice time some time. So I don’t miss them!

Later my 'macet' mate warms me with her text message I give you my standard message to my sons. Luveeeeeeeeee you. I’m happy when you are happy. She never shared such expression when I was around. She’s the one without frills, always straight to the point. I love you too Mom. Is this the standard reply? Yes.

Picture of a sign in Jalan Sugriwa. Away from home doesn’t stop the Japanese from doing nice thing together.