Have you showed up today?

What a day… I feel like I was working all day. The note I have in the car really helps me to focus on and schedule what needs to be done. I had long to-do list that I only finished half yesterday so I made sure to start early to do all but in relaxed manner.
I managed to wash a load of whites in the morning. I got out around 10. It was still early so I could get space for parking in the busy main road. In the photo copy service, I was helped out by a girl who's smart and helpful. Uh so nice to start early. I drove up and down Ubud to run errands. I would never stop telling people that Ubud is just perfect. I dropped by a bakery to ask for sample of cakes for the shop-opening. They made two cakes for me to try in two hours. Great! I shopped for a birthday gift for this evening and picking up two batik sarong for pura visit. Then I went back to pick up the two cakes after lunch and checking out the shop.
I shared the cake with my friends who had helped me selecting cakes the other day. Also shared with Aga later when he came to fix the shop sign sticker. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the shop creating an artwork made from leftover wood. It’s been long I didn’t create something ‘wild’. So nice feeling to be on fire again although the shop has frustrated me a bit. I still have a small element of perfectionism.
I got home all sweaty. I needed to prepare myself for a birthday dinner of a friend from the Heritage. She has house six minutes away from my place. Six minutes in Ubud has distance! And I must say, quite long. I enjoyed driving in the dark with lots of sharp turn that I haven’t memorized. It’s fun to see what’s in the end of the turn: a bridge or temple?
Anyway, the dinner was attended by about the same people and of course there were also some new. I had nice talk with a well-known sculptor in Indonesia. I used to see him as celebrity but last night I discovered his true side. His boy side when he talked about how he creates, what’s his new project, what excites him, how he feels comfortable after 45 last year… I admire his work for the technique first, because he works with many kinds of metal, and of course the brilliant idea of mixing different elements. His creations are often in huge size. His eyes sparkle when he’s talking about his dream. That I like. Full of life!
The famous Australian gardener is always fun to be with. I’m just amazed by the craziness of his creation. His garden has texture! While the other works with metal, he works with plants! Artworks of different form. I learn from both artists that to show up is the main key to produce real something.
In the end of the day, I pondered: have I practiced a total show-up today? I must say my eight hours on the road is productive. While I also felt tired of got in and out the car, I still have time to have a nice lunch in a cozy kedai owned by Japanese. In Ubud it’s so easy to find coziness. The place could make me work hard but at the same time it offers beauty in every corner. My show-up paid off.
Picture of my scenery at lunch.