Thursday, April 17, 2008

What the day is it today?


Some times I wonder how the Balinese keep track of the endless ceremonies all year long. They never miss it! Do they check the Hindu calendar every now and then if not every day? For me, I would check if I notice an escalation in busy-ness around house and in other places. Like this morning when I saw Pak Pugig went to shrine in my garden before 7, it’s unusual. He usually pray with banten in the afternoon, after the sun dims a bit.

Ah Kajeng Kliwon day for the bad spirit. Mbo Yan once told me that her twins are required by their elementary school to wear baju adat with sarong on special days like Kajeng Kliwon, Purnama, and Saraswati. That reminds me of the students I saw in Ubud on some special days. I enjoy looking at them in baju adat but carrying school bags. They look pretty and neat. Very nice. I sense that they too are proud wearing the outfit because that’s the occasion when they could show their creativity of wearing matched kebaya, sarong, and sash; also their opportunity of wearing heeled sandals!

I realized more that I often made mistake because of the Balinese life rhythm. As an ex city girl, I plan my day according to my mood and the day (reversed order when in Jakarta). It seems that in Bali, I also have to observe what the day is for the Balinese. I like to go out early, or anytime before 9:30. In Ubud, many business don’t start that early although it does in other part of Bali like Kuta and Legian that start at 9 o’clock. Business in Ubud area are more laid back. They open their business after 10 or 10:30, even many do after 11. The reason can be as simple as Masih jemput anak dulu! (pick up kids from school) or like today Sembahyang dulu di rumah (pray at home in the morning). On a special day like today, their banten and the way they pray are more elaborate. They're dressed up in baju adat as well. So please understand…

In short, I did little this morning. By 11, I couldn’t take the heat of the sun any longer. It’s breezy and fine under the shade but driving is quite torturing. I don’t want to burn myself. Anyway, I finished my errands quickly and returned home.

My effort to search for furniture maker still results zero. Now I know that contacts can only be collected by time. I have lots of hotel contacts but not of display-shelving maker. Auch. I envy shops that have nice shelving. Please tell me where do you have it made?

Did other minor but major things? Also zero. I couldn’t make progress. If I want to spend more, hiring a professional would ensure my peace of mind. But?

Photo of monk statues in Tegallalang, Ubud.