How is it like to shop without a list?
I had nice morning chatting with a friend. I feel it’s Sunday if I could chat with friends who work 'normal hours'. It’s so nice to catch up and discuss about nothing. I had short morning because I expected my girlfriend from Jakarta to come to my house with her three friends. It’s another kick to tidy house more. Actually I could get my house tidy in minutes, if I want, but it’s not easy to discipline myself some times.
My girlfriend and her friends admired my house. Like an old record, again I repeated telling the whole story of how I found and acquired the house. They considered me lucky. Well, I am. I also explained who’s the owner and how’s the neighborhood. And further, how to get a house and live in Ubud in general. Now I become an Ubud marketing after being a guide for long time.
One friend from Bulgaria showed his interest in getting a house when we were shopping in my neighbor’s shop on their way out to parking. I rarely checked out the shop but today I joined my friend shopping. He bought a really nice Ganesh and I bought an unexpectedly low priced Atintya (Hindu God) bronze. I never saw one in the shape of stand-alone statue. Usually in the form of two-dimensional wall-hang and made of panca datu (five different metals). I won’t put it in a shrine but I like the idea to have one in my Ubud House so I’m happy to have a ‘funky’ Atintya by chance.
It was a strange decision that I went to Denpasar today. I bought a vacuum cleaner to vacuum my mattress and many places in the house. After experiencing ugly insect bites, I become a bit paranoia about the idea of having bedbugs in bed or wherever in the house and car. Ubud is humid and I don’t use air-conditioner. It’s a perfect playground for such creatures. Other than buying a vacuum cleaner? My cousin Aga and I spent hours in Carrefour bought practically nothing. We chatted a lot about family issues and his life in general. I realized that there are times when people need others to listen so I did diligently.
Like my Bulgarian friend who decided to have a house in a country he only visited once, today I also feel like I had a big appetite for shopping but without shopping list and ended up spending more for the fuel. But of course, my interaction with Aga is invaluable. So?
Photo of my new Atintya.