Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How do you engage with the world?


This is precious. Every day I look forward to experiencing the morning, afternoon, and evening at home or out. There’s always something I eagerly anticipate to encounter. Morning is the best because I don’t know what lay in store for me. I felt open without plan this morning and for no reason I was very sure that… Yes, my friend invited me to celebrate Tuesday in his shop. No, let’s go out to see the world. Fine, we start at ten.

Destiny called. My friend wanted to check out a new flashy boutique in the corner of a well-known local hotel. Observing the collection reminded me of the hotel owner I know back to 15 years ago. I asked the shopkeeper if she’s around. She was… We hadn’t seen each other long time, more than 5 years. I only ‘followed’ her activities through socialite magazines. We both have gone through a major change. Life change. When we met we didn’t talk about it but we understand each other.

So it’s good to have met her again. She had searched for my number long time, the same with me. She said in her broken Indonesian Ini yang namanya nasib. It is destiny. Before we left, she invited me and my friend to two parties she’s going to hold in the hotel. My friend’s eyes rolled in my view (I know him too well).

We stopped by my stone supplier workshop to have a look but nothing I could do because the owner was busy preparing a delivery. My friend was quick though, before too long he had talked business with her. He laughed out loud when I found out. So funny.

As promised, my friend helped me choosing pelangkiran (inside shop shrine) and its accessory for the new shop. Again, it’s my luck that I found a red-black pelangkiran with om character in the back. I selected simple decoration in three major colors only: red, black, and gold to match the shop colors. Very nice. I’m happy.

I ended the day by visiting my long time friend’s gallery in Mas. I was thinking about him the other day when passed his gallery. I didn’t feel like meeting but it’s destiny again that I came across him in my friend’s shop. I should take this as signal that I need to pay attention to a business that has been waiting for me to handle. I’ve been too lazy and inactive for too long now.

Go out and engage, a good friend keeps reminding me.

Picture of a nice gallery in Monkey Forest I took today.