Monday, April 14, 2008

Why is liberation a luxury?


Celebrate my resignation from Lombok? Again, my neighbor friend was itchy for a celebration. I didn’t have fixed plan for the day except I need to drop by the shop project to check out the progress. Ya, close to 12. Later when I ironed clothes I had an idea for us to do before lunch that he agreed. Great!

If I had a limousine, I would let you drive. I like your style: safe and elegant, even in a not easy terrain. I just made a U-turn in a narrow street in a village when he said that. We drove through a village that has sharp contoured road and nice view. He said that as Balinese he could not live in Bali village because the community wouldn’t leave him alone. I never thought of that. He’s right. As ‘foreigner’, I would get different treatment. Hm nice to realize such fact. I guess in all villages around the world, people would face the same issue.

We made two stops on the way back. My friend has been eying for Loro Blonyo (Javanese couple statue) the past few weeks. He liked to make a stop to check out if there’s any nice statue he feels suitable to sell. I become aware of what he likes so could inform him. In the end, he bought a couple in a Loro Blonyo ‘factory’.

Our lunch was so-so in a nice warung near Ubud entrance. We talked about liberation this time. It seems that we hardly come to the end of this topic. He said that I look much happier ‘without cloud’ now. I was surprised that he could ‘see’ that. He said that he feels strange to feel happier after free himself from a job that gives him $6,000 a month. He understands now that to have freedom to manage own time is priceless. I couldn’t agree more while money is not important (but essential) to be able to work for self is luxury. Grin.

I got home around 2 happy. Three hours out but felt like I’ve done many. My friend who started the day at 4 felt the same. I made two phone calls discussing heavy topics. Thing that I preferred not to do but actually need to be done. I told my girlfriend through online chat that I just realized I have many significant issues to handle at the moment. I have to face them one by one without too much thinking. I believe in time.

Photo of Loro Blonyo republic.