I have been managing two Facebook accounts…

…the past six weeks, about. I learned a lot, about the features for one and how people use their account. I started as a total novice but now some friends have called me Facebook guru. In general, I like to explore anything I’m interested in by taking off its flesh and digging into the bones. Once I master, I might stay, I might leave. I peeled Facebook because I’m still paranoid about being too exposed but I grow to like the idea of connecting with closed ones through this media. Anyway, I became a Help button for friends who don’t realize that the real Help button is actually a big help.
I understand some people also have me in them – the paranoia about being too exposed and needing time to decide to connect with someone. So if my invitation got no reply for days or never, I don’t take it personally. The thing is because I’m the only one who could invite since I closed all channels to connect with me. I also overly protect my friend’s privacy by hiding my friend’s list (that I might not have to do since they might open themselves on their side). I once had to tell a relative after I found out he made ‘friends’ with two from my list. I know it’s up to them since becoming friends on Facebook it’s a real ‘it takes two to tango’ but… imagining one tries to make friend with friends in my list has scared me. What would they think if they are not happy with the intrusion and recognize the person from my list? Of course they would understand as part of the consequences being on Facebook.
I was also stunned when I asked someone who I just knew how he knew our ‘mutual friend’ since I know my friend lives far away from him and works in totally different field. I was just being inquisitive about how people connect. Who is not? But then he said Oh yaa? I didn’t know that I connect with her. What’s her name again? Auch! So when they connected they didn’t feel the necessary to know the person who sent the invitation? Some friends add more than five new ‘friends’ into their list every day that makes the list growing to hundreds even thousands names in no time. Wow! My friend explained to me that often people on Facebook try to get more friends by ‘shooting in the dark’. Why? Because they want to look like a celebrity with lots of friends or fans. Oh…
It seems that I use Facebook for an unusual purpose. I only connect with people who I like to communicate with and know that they feel the same about me. I might be wrong too since some (if not many) actually didn’t even try to communicate with me. They let my thought not responded. Only a small handful of friends that pay attention. That’s when I appreciate when a friend who has an account but only has her son as friend said that she is not ready to pay attention to many through Facebook so better keeps the account for the son only. My sister is also one who doesn’t seem to have interest in this kind of thing. I like that attitude better.
I might be too serious about communicating since many actually use the account for shouting their thought – responded or not does not matter much. The new Facebook has What’s on your mind? question for status update instead of What are you doing now? that I thought it’s more precise to describe entries people usually have. Housewife friends use it for shouting their worries and activities around house. Student friends use it for shouting their situation in school. Friends in office use it for shouting their boredom and worries about deadline. And friends with a freak use it for shouting their passion about whatever from music, books, outdoor activities, cooking… It’s so nice to learn a feeling from people we thought we have known well. I also like the new organization on the new Facebook but I found out today that there’s a movement in Iceland asking for old Facebook back. It’s fun to know what people think about ‘an improvement’.
I still have many anecdotes about friends' and my experience being on Facebook. A friend created for me a special account with friends I know only? It could happen too. Like I care that much… She might not realize that once I’m in, I’m in totally.
Interconnected leaves in Salcedo Village, Manila, taken by a friend.