Monday, March 23, 2009

I thought a lot about prioritizing…


…while driving down to Denpasar to do a long list of errands. I have smaller world compares to people with kids, partner, career, houses… but still I need to slow down a bit to consider which is more important to do first, who have to get attention first, what task I should finish first… and on and on.

I just connected on Facebook to an art friend who had invited me to join years ago. Only last night I decided to jump into his art world. It took long time for me to decide since he already has over 3,000 friends and fans. It’s just too big for me although it has nothing to do with anything if I join.

Anyway, I admire the way he shares art stuffs and stuffs he’s interested in with his audience. His posts are all over my News Feed now. I know him as quiet person but he is so open on Facebook – much more chatty than I know in person. I like that because he has so much good that he needs to share with us. I don’t regret that I have connected with him. I feel I’m back into the art scene although I never actually left. I was slowing down.

I also wonder how my friend filters his streaming in News Feed of over 3,000 friends. Wow… while I read another not-so-nice posts from a friend today. She has been out of scene the past week and when she’s back… She shouted sour things. Auch! I had to hide her posts for a while, I don’t need that at the moment. Something uplifting please…

So yes, my trip downtown was not so successful. My glasses was not ready yet since they haven’t got a new-stock frame from Jakarta. The girl who received my phone call yesterday didn’t dare to look at me since she’s the one who informed me that my glasses been ready. I sighed and was not able to say anything. In Bali, it seems, we are supposed to have all the time when pick up our orders. Not first time.

I went to the Internet provider office to change service. I asked for an upgrade of my present service to ensure a better connection. I’ve been struggling with not good connection the past few days. It’s so annoying that glad I have alternative from a hotspot service near my house that I used to use when I just moved two years ago. My account is still active! But I prefer to use my mobile Internet.

I could not finish my errands since the roads in Kuta and Seminyak areas were already blocked for melasti (purification in the beach before the silence day on Thursday). I experienced a bit bad traffic in the areas. It was hot outside and I admired people who walked calmly without sun protection going to the beach in a big flock. I felt small again. Balinese dedicate most parts of their life to God and community. And look at me, busying self with my stuffs.

I’m getting ready for the silence day. I haven’t prepared favors to share with close ones for the day. Some friends I know escape the day by going out of Bali. Silence day sounds scary to many. A friend asked if I’m sure to stay in dark Bali on the day. They didn’t realize that it’s “only” two nights! And it’s not totally dark but low light.

I am more than ready.

Like Balinese who walked slowly in the heat this afternoon.