Saturday, August 2, 2008

It’s a project.


I’m back to working on morning chores I like. This morning I worked on a project: cleaning cobwebs. It’s been a while since I asked Pak Agung to stop doing because I don’t like the conventional way to clean. The dirt fly all over. I found a way to do. I bought cobweb broom (round bristles) then covered it with damp men under-tee. It works very well. The cobwebs and dirt stick to the damp tee, no more mess flying around. Now I could share my discovery with Pak Agung.

It also came to me the need to water my thirsty garden. It’s been three months since Pak Pugig, the land owner, fell unwell that he moved back to stay in his family compound ever since. No one waters my garden. Pak Pugig liked gardening. He said that it makes him sweaty and healthy. I cared about he worked in the garden because the mosquitoes are unbearable but it seems he could manage.

Anyway, after considering without executing for so long, this morning I could not stand it anymore. This garden was too thirsty. My 'moat' (I also have pond with deep water) near house is dry, the soil crack. I unrolled the water hose and started watering the garden. Wearing shorts and tank top, I was an instant target of striped mosquitoes. They are amazing. Their ability to detect human flesh is amazing. They attacked me in a second I walked in the garden. A part I don’t like at all. It had stopped me from looking after my garden. Ninja style might be the proper outfit for the activity.

I’m considering hiring a gardener. It’s a bit complicated since I have Pak Agung but I don’t have heart to ask him more than what he had volunteered doing. It’s not in his job description so far. Hm. I’m serious about this. I want my green garden back in no time. Dry season is still on a few months.

I invented a Ninja style outfit in the afternoon after I bought a sprinkler. I wore long pants and Bali sarong to cover my flesh. It worked. Very little if none mosquitoes flew near me. I also enjoyed my idea of using sprinkler to wet grass and soil. It helps me saving time. I did activities downstairs while waiting for the sprinkler to work. It's another way to exercise because I had to move the sprinkler every about fifteen minutes. I had to jump off the porch, turn off water tap, move sprinkler, then turn on water tap. There's a point or two where I was too lazy to turn off the water tap, I let my pants wet because of the moving sprinkler. It was fun. My idea has developed though. I need to buy professional gardening hose with roller because the garden needs quite long hose to reach point to point. Hm.

A project always lit up my spirit. Actually, now I’m considering another project for tomorrow.

Picture of Saturday Market in Salcedo Village, Manila.