It’s a one-minute rule.

Now you are in Bali, you need to learn ‘menang megandong’, ‘ngentungan kapak metali’, and a bit of ‘ajer gianyar’ cultures. My dear Balinese friend responded to my news about gardener through a text message. Yes, I had asked Pak Agung to be my gardener. It took me long before finally asked him this morning. As a Javanese, I felt sungkan – improper – asking an Agung to work more for me. He belongs to high caste although he’s been my staff in Pallava four years.
So what’s the meaning of all those cultures my friend mentioned? I’m only familiar with the first one ‘menang megandong’ that means ‘asking someone something difficult to fulfill for own benefit (like shooting in the dark)’. I need to learn about the other two. I had asked my friend to teach me later. I guess the spirit is the same ‘trying is free’. Great. I learn about Balinese culture every day.
I stayed in all day. I promised myself to clear up minor tasks in the list. I adjusted necklaces for a customer, wrote some notes to send tomorrow, negotiated Frangipani space contract (again), and watered garden with Pak Agung in the afternoon. It looks simple but it took all day. I also tidied up bedroom categorizing CDs, books, and stuffs. It takes time. That’s when I know that it’s not easy to consider a task applicable to a ‘one minute rule’ before actually set my hand to. It could be even more than ten minutes.
I feel flat, goodly need to have a break but in general I should be satisfied with what I have done today.
Picture of Tenganan blue sky.