It’s a gift.
It’s my sister’s birthday. Happy birthday Sis! I appreciate your prompt birthday card for me via snail-mail since you live in the US eleven years ago while I often missed to send mine for you at the right time. I don’t blame the unpredictable post office service, I should have sent it one month before. Anyway, wish you good health and… life!
Ah shopping day! The girl in a Japanese clothing shop commented. I looked back and stared at my plastic bags on the floor. Yea… I bought many already and more in the car? Oh. I didn’t plan to shop a lot but it happened today things fell into places. With shopping, things always fall into places.
I picked up Neru’s name cards and else in printing shop. I gasped. It looked really good. Simple and elegant. The boys who worked with me laying out the design in the computer before printing were also happy with the result. Name card reflects its owner, one boy said. Yea… monochromatic and asymmetrical.
The rest of 'unplanned' shopping started when I checked out secondhand book for my next reading. I tried to find a new copy in a bookshop the other day but hardly found one that kicks. I really like this secondhand bookshop owned by an Australian lady married to a Balinese poet. The collection of new, old, and rare books is enough. The girls laughed when I picked up fat paper bag from the counter. Belanja lagiii… They had known that I never walked out the shop empty handed.
I dropped by Neru for a while to talk with Ayu who’s ready to join me full time from September the first. She’s okay with her remuneration I offered. I also told her to be open with me like boy-girl relationship. She laughed. Oh okay, I might have picked up wrong analogy. They might not be open when not satisfied or there’s a new 'view'. Hh.
So I had a look at a tie-dye skirt I’d been eying the past weeks when passed the Japanese clothing shop after visiting Neru. Grr… Now I own the tie-dye skirt and a white shawl to match. The girl said that I have Japanese style. I don’t deny. Except those sock things yaa…
I ended the round visiting Mbo Arini in the market. A friend wanted me to buy her long skirts and sleep wear. It took me long again to decide gifts for friends. I took out Mbo Arini’s stock to select. She just smiled and Go ahead but please buy. Have I ever failed walking out the shop without carrying at least 8 pieces? Hardly.
I was happy driving home carrying gifts for loved ones. I enjoy the process of collecting ideas then realizing them. Like when I found the perfect gift for my dear friend and the work that follows the finding is fun! Excited! Pity, my sister lives so far away. I could have shared more with her.
Picture of my sister with Ma and Pa in Eyang’s house.