Monday, July 10, 2006

Vintage Sunday



A few days ago my cousins reminded me about UB would participate in bazaar near our housing complex on Sunday. I knew the plan since last month. I just nodded – not realizing the ‘impact’. I felt the impact the night before slept. Sunday? Get up early and go?

I slightly regretted. I should have told them not to take a stall on Sunday market. Too lazy to get up early then waste all day outdoor. Ugh! Too late. I prepared self like robot. I brought my small sketch book and a pencil. Wish I had time to sketch.

I was 30 minutes late, 8:30. Staff had prepared the stall nicely. AG is always reliable. Cousins were not there yet, so I walked around. Hey.. It’s a ‘serious’ bazaar. It occupied whole street, familiar street in my neighborhood that I never walked pass. Only by car.

My first buy was old tray with three glass bowls and lids. The sticker showed USD 0.5. I let the seller to change the price but she looked at me That’s the price! So I asked her Why? She said the family never used the tray. Her Ibu preferred to use new crockery. Okay, please wrap!

Then I bought nice red-beaded sandals I don’t need. I walked thru the long passage with stalls selling many kinds of thing. Food, vintage clothing, shoes, accessories (new and vintage), many nice things from home. Then I found this man..

He was busy unloading his old stuffs from boxes. I took time to check his tiny little things on the table. Later I found out he collected the things almost twenty years. Looking at his style, this business is not his main. He agreed. He does something else to make a living, he collected things for his passion of vintage thing.

He had several categories: mix of bronze / metal things, Zippo lighters from many eras, old souvenirs from all over the world, old bank notes,.. I only focused on the metal things. What I liked about him is that he knew his stuffs well. The series, the era, the material, where it comes from,… He touched everything with feeling, one by one, he checked the back and told me stories about it.

I decided to take silver plated plate – ‘copy’ of my meal plate back to my kid’s day (which Mama still keeps the ‘original’). A silver plated small cup with embossed rooster on it. Several tiny brass cups and plates for my beadwork. And a nice small bronze jar that I have plan what to do with it. I also took bank notes from years 1956 and 1945!! Indonesian independence year!

He put my stuffs on top of a box and looked at them with admiration, appreciation, then estimation,.. I waited for him to do his ritual; touching the thing and made calculation. He was not a common antique dealer. He did for passion, not (just) for money. I didn’t make him difficult by bargaining. He already offered me very good price. As the first buyer, he gave me fat discount. I only paid USD 20. Fair enough. I walked back happily and promised to return in the afternoon for more bank notes shopping.

I spent all afternoon chatting. Nice friend and relatives. Very merry when everybody got together. My auntie, niece, nephews, partners,… They enjoyed the afternoon breezy day. And juuust before dark I visited the “junk” stall again. His stall looked busier.

This time I selected statues of Buddha, Ganesh, Kwan-Im goddess, and a nice pill box. All are made of bronze. Then I knelt on the street with a girl I know – girlfriend of my cousin – selecting vintage accessories. She had selected a big bag full of accessories. I selected bangles. I found five tiny bangles with nice carvings. I selected the best in the bag, the guy told me. And when it came to pay… He asked me to decide the price. It took me long time to think. I didn’t like to price, I didn't want to be unfair. But he took my money right away.. USD 15 for all.. Hard to believe.. He sold everything very cheap. Almost at no value. He told me earlier about letting go of his possession or he would keep accumulating and never had the flow. He is very right!

I’m really happy to know a new supplier for junks. I need that. Later in the evening I met BEN – my art buddy. We talked about this junk collector and planned to shop together in the collector's house one day.


I’m glad to have gotten up early and have different way to spend a Sunday. Nothing is the same when we are open.