Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Prisoners of Time

It’s Tuesday again. I ran doing my morning ritual because summer study group started at 9:30. Today we visited a silversmith workshop which did the famous Scandinavian designer Georg Jensen’s jewelry. It was where the famous designer Vivianna Torun worked. Now the workshop is run by an Indonesian jeweler, Torun’s ex business partner.

It was a house in an ordinary housing complex. The showroom was small and neat. We got together in the room to listen to the talk about Torun and the business. It is very interesting to know that a well known jewelry designer and sculptor had worked in Indonesia for 28 years. She passed away two years ago.

We also visited the workshop. There were about ten craftsmen working in a simple workshop with simple tools. NIE and I enjoyed the old wood log and tables more. It has really nice working bench from old days. They use simple technique too. We learned to appreciate silversmith’s work more since then.

The famous Torun’s design was Timelessness watch for Georg Jensen (as seen in photo). It symbolizes that we should not be prisoners of time. When we saw how these craftsmen worked, we talked about prisoners of time. They are able to do things repetitively and we are not. We are the prisoners of time because we don’t want to be trapped doing same thing for years! Perhaps not even for hours. We giggled realizing that we ARE the prisoners..

Really nice visit RIT and AMA organized. I went to FRA after the visit while waiting for the lady to do errands around the area. It was convenient because FRA is in the same area. I only stayed for twenty minutes at FRA but it was effective. I fetched my order from workshop, made few more orders, asked LIN to do this n that,.. Enough order till weekend.

I was thinking in the car about what I have accomplished so far with my art. I felt like I haven’t done much since long. A good friend reminded me yesterday that I should not estimate self too low. But that’s what I feel… I felt ashamed every time I met BEN, my art buddy. He does a lot with his art, he sells. NIE too. She’s going to have solo exhibition after many other exhibitions. What’s my standard then?

I don’t know. I got same organic resto last week around 13:00. Same crowd; RIT, AMA, MAR, plus CLA. Last week we had nice Jap girl and today we had CLA, French lady. I thought she was a shy lady. She’s been long time customer of FRA but we hardly talked. That’s why I thought she’s shy. But today I saw her completely different. Same from her side probably. We laughed laughed laughed a lot and loud. She was funny and authentic.

We didn’t let ourselves to be prisoners of time. We planned to have dessert while having foot reflexy in the spa adjacent to the resto but we cancelled it because it would take 1.5 hours. MAR and CLA had appointments and we thought it was too long.

But what we ended up? We finished lunch around 16:00!!! Three hours!! MAR and CLA rescheduled their appointments several times. Sure the conversation was super hot. From men’s finger shape, belief, French lady, jewelry in Israel, Jacques Brel, Sting, art,... We sat again when B job topic rose. More laughter while touching and measuring each other’s B… What a girl talk..

Day finished after 16:00 in Jakarta. We could not do anything else. We went straight home. We entered our time jail..