Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Leave Something Behind


Short morning again. Electrician came; I helped him to find the problem with aircon, then prepared room for nephew, did morning ritual in computer, did internet banking, had a quick breakfast, then showered… All was done in quick quick quick..

I got CLA’s apartment in time, 9:40. So many ladies came today, twice the number of yesterday. Good! Presentation in someone’s house always attracted more people. The house, the food, the convenience,… That’s!

Today’s presentation was about East Java beads. I never realized that beads made in East Java has acquired its own ‘name’. NIE elaborated the making of glass beads and some characteristics of beads from the region. Interesting. And it’s more interesting to know how time consuming is to make a bead which sold very cheap. Apparently the craftsmen are not the prisoner of time.

I enjoyed CLA’s collection of primitive arts. It’s good to see FRA’s work here and there. Every corner is well decorated. She is very active. Actively shopping. Nice place tho.

RIT, KAT, and I had a quick lunch nearby. It was fun to talk about how they started to think about how to spend the rest of life well. I liked the concept of “leave something behind” which constantly repeated in the conversation. The fact that women don’t have career ladder so their ‘career’ is raising the kids well.. And if they don’t have kid then… there should be a creation to be left behind. Hm..
It got me thinking.

And also about setting priority in life. How to minimize doing something useless.. It’s a tough discussion. What is useless? Yesterday we agreed that failed relationship shapes us, never wastes time. No useless. Perhaps it depends on how one views the problem. Hm.

My nephew, DHA, finally settled in my uncle’s house. Aircon was still problem when I got home. It looked like the aircon was waiting for me. I found the problem just after I parked car. They fiddled around with the electricity circuit all day. Glad that it was finally solved. Tomorrow he will do the repair. Pheew. After months.

So I went to uncle’s house to meet DHA first time after three years. He is a big boy now, 18 years. We could chat as two adults!! (so good to hear he called himself an adult..) He read my blog. He thought that I’m too open, like sharing the way I spent my morning. That’s for private journal, he said. Wow..


DHA is a talented writer. I peek some of his pieces in the internet. So I urged him to start a blog but he said he didn’t know how to express his feelings because he didn’t like to share his private life. I gave him tips to divide private and non. He will start a blog. Good!

I could see myself in him. I was like him in the past and I am still in some ways. He could make me cry when he was kid because I could feel what he felt. And I think I could still..

We talked for an hour or so. It was not easy to talk with him but I got him to talk.. finally. His Indonesian came out very slowly. It took time for him to express what he wanted. I preferred to talk with him in English to get quick highlight information but not after the transition. Uncle has set rule to only use Indonesian. Good enough for him.

So that’s what I left behind.. for today.

Photo of a poster at S.A.M.