3-in-1
Communication
I just finished morning banking in the internet. Lionel Richie gave nice insights on the Oprah show. He failed two marriages because of poor communication. He said that he could not handle communication well, like he did not pay attention enough to wife. Ehm. It is sad that many marriages fall apart because of same problem. I always thought that communication should be easy when we are open. But exactly what Richie said: it takes two. What it seems so easy can be so difficult when one remains silent or ‘close the door’. Richie’s new album is the product of his pain, he said. The main song “Just For You” is touching. A lesson to be open. 9:10
Just For You
Golden days
Night was play
Pain was all a world away
We went to school
We learned the rules
We trusted all they had to say
Then life took a turn
We all had to learn
And we cant go back again
And my heart is breaking
Just for you
Just for you
And my arms are open
Just for you
Just for you
Just for you
God was God
And dreams were dreams
Life was all pecan ice cream
Truth was true
And lies were lies
And we thought love would never die
But the world moved on
My illusions gone
And I don't know who to blame
And my heart is breaking
Just for you
Just for you
And my arms are open
Just for you
Just for you
And these tears I'm crying are for you
Just for you
Just for you
I'm looking for protection
Give me shelter from the storm
I just hope this light inside me
Keeps me strong
And my heart is breaking
Just for you
Just for you
And my arms they're open
Just for you
Just for you
And these tears I'm crying are for you
Just for you
Just for you
Just for you
Oh my heart is breaking
And my arms are open
Oh these tears I'm crying are just for you
Oh yeah
Note: Photo of "Just For You" album by Lionel Richie.
Which Type?
I had a nice lunch with PEN and Israeli RIT at the Champa – a nice Asian fusion resto and gallery. Time flies. RIT was afraid we did not meet enough this time because she is leaving in Easter for six weeks -- as she did every year -- soon. And PEN will also leave for Melbourne on kids’ school holidays soon. It is a family trip. Ehm.. looks like I always be the one who stay here all year long, all decade long – been in Heritage half decade now, watching good friends come and go every year.
I always enjoyed the company of these ladies. They talked a lot about their boys, both have two boys. And today I got new experience having a Mom talked about her gay son. Oh I admired RIT. She took it very well. She said it was not a big issue. Most are... nowadays. Yaa.. I was just surprised because I heard nothing negative from her as Mom. Super Mom. I met the boy two years ago when Mom celebrating her 50th. He was a smart sweet boy.
And we had a nice discussion over dessert about types of ‘something’ shown in ladies restroom. RIT was able to pick two types she liked and comment on other types. It was hilarious. Even RIT went to men restroom to check what they have there. Types of boobs. Again RIT was able to point which is hers. PEN and I did not have a look. Not so interesting. But yes. It was a good topic for discussion after restroom break.
Note: Photo of a property at the Champa.
Java Jazz Festival 2006, 3 -5 March
I planned to go since yesterday, but I had not decided until the last minute after lunch. Yaa, think I should go. I made quick detour before home. I bought a rose bouquet for someone’s birthday today and went to supermarket nearby. I hated to do the latter, if it was not because of my staff ‘threatened’ me that no rice for tomorrow. I do not know how many times I have told her to not give me shopping list in the last minute. Well..
So I went by taxi at 16:10. I dozed for 20 minutes in taxi! It was really good because I was tired and sleepy. I went the earliest possible for I did not want to miss Balawan at 17:00. I decided to go, by myself, because of him (mainly). I was in doubt but then I thought.. nothing to ‘scare’. I was able to be in party where only one or two I knew. No difference!
Balawan’s Music Clinic turned out grrreeaaatt and different. He did not play as in a show, but he had dialog with the audience about his skills. I think it was much better than the show, for a change – I have seen Balawan live a lot the last three years.
I like him more today. He looked cold in Ubud. Here he looked warm and funny. So humorous. I laughed a lot, so the rest of the audience. It also felt good to hear Balinese dialect in Jakarta! Soo good. I missed my ‘kampong’.
He showed us how to play tapping – his expertise. Many Qs about the technique he chose for his ‘character’. It was funny when he explained how he played the instrument. Many people thought that he modified the instrument to meet his style. He said that he needed to prove that he played the instrument without using ‘black magic’ from Bali. Basically the instrument is hi-tech; offers many features buuut.. not many musician explored it. He said that features can give you rich nuances if you play it right. If sounds like piano, then he plays the guitar as if he plays piano – tapping (not guitar – picking). He also demonstrated how to tap Bali gamelan with the same guitar. It was an amazing show itself! He played different sound came out of the instrument. It was none of black magic. It was magic fingers. His right hand plays as good as his left (left hand plays the main role in playing guitar). Click here to read his Feature in the Jakarta Post. Click here to listen to his music.
One cruel person told Balawan that he is not a good singer (although he learned vocal in Australia). I could feel tense in the air. It ‘hit’ me, and I was sure that it hit Balawan too. It was so discouraging! Later he rejected two requests to sing. He said he is a sensitive man (must be joking, but must be true too). He would rather not sing, but practice more to sing well. Just before closing someone ‘begged’ him -- seriously -- to sing. Then he sang, I forgot what was the song because I listened to him singing too often. But sure it was a nice one. Big applause! He closed the ‘clinic’ by jamming with a Jap girl playing keyboard. Very nice. I am happy that I was there – after kicking myself to go.
I walked by myself from hall to hall trying to see a nice show. There were 12 sessions at the same time, or almost the same time. So I checked the schedule from time to time and entered a room for a song or two to ‘tune in’. I met German BIR in one room where Margie Segers sang. It was good to meet her who also came by herself. From that on we went together exploring other rooms till later my compu friend TEG and BIR’s husband came almost same time.
I took a break around 22:00. I did not feel hungry but I knew I had to have something. It was strange that we should use token to buy food. That was common. But then token had to be exchanged with coupons before ordering food. So imagine the queue. Grr.. Only siew may left; so we had it while sitting on the floor like everybody. It was fun. Click here for details on Java Jazz Festival 2006.
Watching funny pianist from Italy in Stage 2, I felt sleepy. I could not enjoy more music. Six hours was just enough. I may return tomorrow for more shows and "Balawan & Batuan Ethnic Fusion". Just remember one rule: wear something really thick because room was chilly cold. Not a joke.
Note: Blurred photo of Balawan's jam-session today.