Friday, March 24, 2006

"Connecting" Day

I can say that.

I had short morning as I had to be at RIT’s by 10:00. I only had an hour n half to work on FRA blog. It’s nice morning when ideas poured. I had better idea to refine the blog look. I was happy. I noted down the general outline of the idea. I felt like I’m in a writing project. It's been too long.

Art Friday. It was a nice time to see friends while learning more about art. Today we were supposed to learn from an art critic, London graduate, about Indonesian contemporary art. She’s a young journalist type woman. I met her the first time when we visited LAR auction preview last month. She’s supposed to take us around but.. she arrived more than an hour late, she said she hadn’t had a look of the collection, she didn’t know what to talk about,.. Mm.. I was so malu at that time. Indonesian professional?

Today we didn’t hear from her half an hour, an hour,… Then she called that she could not make it. She’s stuck in traffic and had a terrible headache. Maybe next time she said. Wow! I must say, I was not surprised. It’s just strange for me cos her writings are in many art magz in Jakarta. She must have the reputation. Or she was too busy that she could not manage her time? Who knows? I just hope she gets better in commitment.

RIT took us around the house to show artworks she made. She’s a productive artist. She creates a lot of bronze sculptures. She speeds up now as she returns (for good) to Germany in May. It would be too expensive to make bronze sculpture there; the material, cast, man-hour,.. The photo is her work called “Love”; made in 2004. It’s celebration of man-woman union. When I decided to buy the artwork, both statues were loose -- hadn’t fixed to the base. I told RIT to leave the woman free. She agreed right away. Now all copies (four) are made with only man fixed to the base.

So twelve of us were just happy to be together in an ‘unplanned’ early lunch. We had potluck and today we had a very nice variety. Salad, pasta, lumpia, crackers and tuna dip, quiche, apple pie, blueberry cake, banana cake, sesame cookies from Mexico and gula kacang from Malang! We were not always lucky to have such variety. Sometimes many brought salads, or many desserts, or too many main courses! Lunch was ended nicely with pumpkin with veggie stuffie, RIT made. Ah so delicious. I told RIT that she put me to sleep.

It was a very nice chat always. We liked to squeeze ourselves to sit on a dining table. RIT told us that it’s first time to have 12 persons on her six-seater dining table ha ha. Lucky only NT who’s ‘over-size’. It’s very intimate yes. You know ladies, we never stop yakking!

I stayed in FRA for two hours. Typing some materials and collecting books for reference. I will do more this evening. I could not wait till FRA blog is ready. I met two custos and had a nice long distance chat. It’s always nice to have connection with people of same interests.