Cannot Complain More
I had no time for self this morning. Sleeping late last night, I woke up around 7:00 and straight to run to be ready by 8:00. I car pooled with NIE and PEN going to Hankook, a fine bone china factory, in Tangerang! For Jakartan, it is a different ‘city’ because of its distance and macet. PEN was weaponing us with a box of water and cookies from the helper’s jar (the only she had in the house, clever!).
Traffic was not bad at all, we spent ‘only’ 75 minutes to get the factory. I sat in the wrong side of the car, sun shining on my lap and half body. I wore wrong clothes, dark blue tee and dark blue pants. Both were 100% algoddon but.. wrong color cos dark! Oh I was sweaty in not so cold car of NIE (remember not to buy Nissan Serena).
Factory was neat, soo neat, the building and the manicured garden. It was blazing sun especially on the asphalt and open spaces. Ugh. It was just good to see the other ladies who had arrived. And being in super cold showroom was not a good idea. Too contrast. Headache.
The marketing manager gave us introduction of the company. Korean investors. One thousand workers producing one million pieces per month. ‘Tailor’ for branded company like Villeroy & Boch, Christian Dior, Mikasa, also.. marimekko. So interesting. Quality must be beyond question. We went to see the factory after the talk.
Inside the factory was neat. Workers were wearing lab jackets, no shoes but.. rubber flip-flop! Even the manager was wearing it. It must be the company's ‘attire’, so contrast. We walked thru part by part watching workers working in two methods: semi automatic (partly done by workers) and full automatic (100% done by machine). Too bad taking photos are not allowed.
We stopped for awhile ‘admiring’ a woman working on teapot handles; smoothing the mould joint and cut both ends. She did it skillfully and quickly. The manager told us that she has worked for Hankook T E N years in the SAME department (teapot handle!). She worked for seven hours a day. Anybody can imagine doing the same thing for ten years, seven hours a day?! We all stopped smiling and laughing. Contemplate.
That brought us to see more of workers in ‘daily meditation’. One man put a piece of dough in mould, pressed it, and put the finished stuff in shelves. He did that on and on and on, same thing! He had no expression, like a robot! What a killing of human character!
Inside the factory was reaaaly hot although it was well ventilated and had high ceiling. It was like entering sauna room, no kidding. We were all sweaty wet especially when standing near the kiln. Like RIT said, we cannot get everything. Experience vs. heat. True! But then we wondered how the workers survive being in the factory for seven hours and barely drinking. Manager told us later that they are not allowed to leave their place too often. They can only have drink during lunch time. Oh!
The ‘sticker department’ was another interesting part. The women stuck the filmy sticker on the ceramic. They did it in a few minutes of each. Amazing because the film was so thin and soft, smoothen the bubble looked so challenging. Another meditation. They did same thing, same design, on and on.
The ‘luckiest’ workers working in an aircon room were the ones who did hand painting of the expensive series. It needed skillful hands and high concentration. They made super fine gold lines using tiny brush. They cannot miss a breath or have hiccup! Superb!
Walking out of the factory to the showroom was quite far. Later at home I noticed.. I got my healthy color back. In showroom, some ladies were busy shopping and ordering. I managed myself not to buy anything. I helped around the ladies. I loved it. SUS, the Ibu Ambassador, was there too. I have not met her four months. She just returned from her home country two days ago. I helped her choosing a dinner set. Then we talked about the wholesale market, Mangga Dua. I did not know that she is Queen of Mangga Dua. I adore her humbleness. She sits in economy class (at least the domestic part). She is happy with Mangga Dua handbags. She only wears branded shoes. She is one rare woman. Like me, kids have no appeal for her.
We were all dead in the car. It was over 12:00, no lunch, and an hour n half away from Jakarta; we were happy to have the helper’s cookies. At home, I went straight to bathroom and soaked myself in hot salt bath. I was soo tired. I needed to recharge myself to have a nice rest of the day.
Can I complain more?
MH:
#89 get out of the house more
- I needed a kick from PEN to go on this visit. I never regret it.
#97 own less stuff:
- I managed myself not to buy even a mug at Hankook.
#98 don't lose my sense of wonder
- It amazed me to see what people do to earn a living. The visit is real eye opener!
FAIL:
#4 remember birthdays and send cards promptly:
- I should have sent a bday card for a very good girl friend lives in Canada now. It takes two weeks to get there and I am late!
#54 be a better daughter:
- I am thinking about when I plan to go to visit Mama. I engaged myself to too many commitments every day.
Message from BIR re Java Jazz:
I felt very sad and empty Monday morning without the Festival!!! I love it.. I am addicted!!!! You are so lucky because you can go again next year!!!
Note: Photo of a door at Museum Fatahillah.