Sunday, January 11, 2009

Do one thing for 10,000 hours


then you become a genius! A friend told us over lunch. She read about it somewhere and thought she had started to believe it. We made a quick calculation of do one thing for 10 hours per day would take us less than three years to be a genius. She mentioned the Beatles as one example. How long they practiced music in a day? 12 hours! How long they were in business?

It’s been 24 hours that ADD-ADHD became my topic. The German gallery owner told us last night that meditation is not for him. He likes to move constantly doing things. My friend and I looked at each other. Sounds familiar. I might not be that ‘bad’ but like many of my friends I have itchy feet. If not my body, then my mind, that has developed a strong urge to move from one thing to another.

So I had chat with another two ADD-ADHD suspects this lunch. Both are close to 60 but – my – I might only spend half of their energy. People who need sleep less than 5-6 hours and need concentration to surrender to sleep. Auch! The pattern is so typical, we are creative but we might never reach genius level because we could hardly concentrate on one thing. So we discussed how we could excel at one thing by investing 3-4 years only. Not possible, for me.

I’m onto-next person. Like my friend who spent six hours with me today. We were busy in Neru selecting her China blue ceramic shard jewelry to be sold at Neru. Her jewelry is a real eye candy. You cannot miss when spot one. I imagined her spending hours working on the shards: drawing, cutting, and designing. It draws her energy very well. My restless friend.

I learned that taming ADD-ADHD biorhythm is a real decision. And I have decided.

My friend is busy taking pictures of her creation at Neru.