The Stock

I enjoyed my four-hour trip today. It’s always fun and there's always something to learn. I started by taking my used books to Ganesha bookshop. I want to experience exchanging used books with books from the bookshop :-) The girls looked happy looking at my two plastic bags full of books. I took my time browsing the bookshop to search for ideas. I found two books on Ubud again. One is written by a Javanese royal living in Ubud since 1977. Interesting eh? The book is about what makes Ubud from 1978 to now. Well, I haven’t even opened the shrink wrap so don’t have idea what is precisely all about. The other book is from “rare book” glass cabinet, Monumental Bali, guide to archaeological and monumental sites in Bali. The latter will become my meal friend. I realized yesterday that I’d been through Ubud is A Mood twice.
By the way, the girls had finished counting when I handed the two books. Each used book was bought at $1.5 - 2, only fiction and soft cover accepted, but hard cover biography is welcome. Great! Now I know. I paid half of my purchase. My rare book is quite expensive at $40 (yes, they use US dollar). I’m happy.
I thought I have known Ubud well, but I just got the info about another good bakery in Ubud beside Casa Luna and Warung Wayan. So ironic, the bakery located two shops from Ganesha bookshop, my favorite place! So I walked to check on Bali Buddha, the well-known local bakery. Mmm really nice little bakery sells organic products and many kinds of healthy food. And, of course, bread and cakes. Looks really good! I asked the girl to help me since I didn’t see empty tray around. She signaled her friend, who’s about to leave the shop with helmet and jacket, to assist me. I stopped and felt confused. She? Asked this man to assist me? I smiled when I paid. Ironic #2. The shop called Bali Buddha with fat funny Buddha as logo, and this girl looked so impatient. What a rare experience in Bali, being served without eye contact, let alone smile. I shared my experience with Ana. He too was surprised.
I continued my trip to silver village, Celuk. I need to stock up toggles and silver beads. I stopped by some shops I saw when passed by from airport the other day. Hm no good. It’s really hard to find shops selling silver beads, or if any, good craftsmanship silver beads are rare. When I finally went back to the shop I went before, I got my lesson. I didn’t realize that silver price fluctuates according to world price. Well, I know about precious metal like gold. But it hardly comes to me about silver, same precious metal nowadays. So today apparently was not a good day to shop. The price was high. What a trip! I should have called to check the rate first. Learn learn learn…
I went straight back to Ubud, not home. The sun was high, the air was humid. The weather exhausted me. I made a trip to supermarket to stock up my survival kit. After considering sooo long, I decided to buy a rice cooker! Orang Jawa makan nasi! No, I’m just tired to have less option although I don't mind having bread day and night. Now I’m ready to be a hamster in cage again. An American NGO’s staff just called me. She needs me to translate their newsletter for the headquarter office in Washington. The time is just right. Yay!
Photo of a shadow on the wall by Ubud House stairs this morning.