The Down and Up
I was a bit sensitive yesterday. ‘Simple thing’ that triggered my sensitivity. A friend who I had tried to contact the past ten days hadn't replied to any mode of communication I used (email, short text message, and.. phone call!) till last night. If it wasn’t because of my best 27 necklaces, I would like to leave her alone. She was my #1 customer when I started the business so I never had the slightest thought about what could happen. But I must say, I was in panic last night.
So I sent her short text message asking what is her problem. She said she was just busy. I appreciate that she replied at last, I needed my necklace back, that’s all. I learn though. I should be prompt replying to any communication especially when I sort of ‘owe’ to someone. Hm. So communication was my issue last night. I respect people’s space but when it comes to business, I cannot relax.
Ya. Necklace is occupied my time since I got mine back from my friend last night. Her friend in a dance company managed to sell 26 necklaces that have sent me to the moon. I took stock to review what style sells, and what less. Actually I could not draw a conclusion. I simply don’t know what people like. I’m just happy to see my earlier batches have been sold out. But in general: big and tiny, long and medium, and choker… all are just gone. I can say that I have catered all tastes.
While I prepared my next batch, I got an assignment to do an essay on Cirebon Masked Dance as part of my participation in Cirebon trip with the Heritage early December. What a good idea to require each participant to contribute an essay with a topic (for the trip booklet) and to take a job in the trip (time keeper, buy tickets, write for newsletter, treasurer, photography, do library display). I got the last job as I’m the last person to join. That’s okay. I always enjoy to be in “general affairs” section.
With all these activities in Jakarta, I look forward to my next trip to Ubud soon. I haven’t fixed any plan of what to do this stay but for sure I need to stock up necklaces for Christmas and if possible to work further on my plan to have a new business in Ubud. I’ve been dormant in this section the past few months. I need a hard kick…
Photo of Mella Jaarsma’s Bolak-balik.