Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Art Attack


My art partner and I were supposed to meet to discuss about our presentation yesterday. But we just talked on the phone. We laughed knowing that we were both still in the process of composing. We kept pushing each other to do the presentation. Well, we have agreed to divide into two parts though. She presents the overview of contemporary installation and sculpture; I present the overview of contemporary Indonesian sculptors.

Yesterday I organized 61 photos from my collection and website search in the morning but had to kick myself hard to write up the highlight of the 16 artists. I was so slow and unmotivated. It was in the afternoon when I got hit by the reality that I cannot run from this and the sooner I finish the assignment, the sooner I can enjoy my time. No such joy in procrastination.

Actually I know about myself. Once I’m in the midst of doing something, I can hardly stop myself. And I did not stop till 21:00, my sleeping time. Yes, my dilemma. With 4:00 o’clock up rhythm I cannot stay up till late, but then at 2:00 I’m already awake because I have had my four hours sleep. It’s a circle that I need to break. I can do better if I can steal a short nap in the afternoon (that I cannot do) so can prolong my waking hours in the evening.

Anyway, I slept with happy feeling. I had done 95% of my work. I polished and added this morning that I forgot to initiate decluttering. I just changed the wall decoration while waiting for water to boil. Yes, I broke my 12 years old electric kettle when I soaked it in water for major cleaning yesterday. I covered the switch but forgot the socket. I tried to dry but it seemed dangerous still.

I’m happy now. I had shared my art paper with my partner so she can have a look. And I didn’t need to go out of house! Why? My socket has dried that I don’t need to buy a new kettle. I prefer to stay home to study more and start a new research. Another paper is waiting, I just got the assignment this morning. What an attack!

So, after days with art attack, I found out that: I love art so much that I hardly ever get tired of studying and researching it, persons who work in the art world are healthy persons because they do what they like to doing and they are able to make their art materialized (imagine how they do artwork for public space in such scale), and… Mac is a great computer for writing and doing research in the internet at the same time. In general, I feel super after shelving my assignment. A new challenge has been in queue.

Photo of Pintor Sirait’s works, one of my favorite artists.