Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Asymmetrical Brain


So, can I say you have an asymmetrical brain? A friend asked after learning how asymmetrical I was today. Oh yes, oh yess.. very much so. We had a good laugh but I know that she could not agree more. Somehow I know that I could not walk into the room without being caught and observed from head to toe. I was just too 'strange' with my contemporary Indonesian outfit and big asymmetrical necklace I wore.

Have been on-off for days about going to the Heritage coffee morning today, I made it finally. Well, with Iwan Tirta – the well-known batik designer – talked before us, I would like to experience again. This is my second to see him talking about his passion, batik and Javanese court dance. He looked frail but no one would miss his sharpness in delivering his views on anything. Later I found out from the organizer that actually he ‘forgot’ to talk about symbolism in batik, the supposed to be the main theme of his talk. But who noticed that? We were all entertained by his charm, smartness, and sharpness. It was a lovely talk with show of nice batik cloths he creates.

The event was held in an Indonesian fusion restaurant inside a new hip ‘supermarket’ for the best Indonesian crafts – the real upmarket shop with only the best and unique choice. I had never been before. It didn’t call me but now… Ehm. The lady who is behind this gorgeous work took us a tour of the shop. I know her long time and she embarrassed me when she said I should have done the job. I would love to actually. I was surprised too when I realized that I know almost all the consignors. We are in the same league.

It was fun to admire my own culture. It sparks my love for Indonesia more. With the ladies who were admiring my batik walking close to me, I could not help but showing more the beauty of Indonesia. A lady didn’t even ‘let’ me admiring shibori technique because it doesn’t sound like Indonesia. I laughed. It’s universal art! But I appreciate her reaction, very much. Before the tour ended in another nice Indonesian restaurant, she (what she called) harassed me. She made me standing still and started to ask detail questions about what I wore and how I got anything attached on my body (my top, bag, batik, sandals). Finally, she concluded that I should do more than necklace.

We had nice lunch. It was a feast with all Indonesian menu from starter to dessert. We had a nice exchange about Indonesia. And before we were off, the lady from the shop said that she would contact me about…. my necklace! I am walking in the sky. My asymmetrical brain works.

Photo of Awan Simatupang’s house.