Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Adornment


I often feel the need to use my time wisely, with good plan, but it seems it doesn’t work that way because in the end I completely waste the time. For instance, I put off doing something because I thought that could only be done at certain time in certain amount of time. While I set the more important thing aside, I do numerous unimportant things first, and don’t have time left for the 'big chunk'. Sounds familiar? Anyway, the key is to just do it and see how much time left for fun. No plan needed.

I spent early morning selecting pictures for my assignment. I have to make a progress. Here is my problem again. I thought I need a day to finish my paper but once I do, actually it doesn’t take long. The photo selection finished in an hour. Now I got all the materials ready to be composed. In no time, if I just do. I was going to continue to put the materials into PowerPoint when remembered…

A decluttering a day. I made a list of items I need to declutter last night. I came up with at least nine items such as bedding, soft-toys (yes, I have extensive collection of Beanie Baby), shoes, old crockery (which I don’t find as exotic anymore),… Last night I decided to sorting out fashion accessories as today’s project. I have three trays of dusty mix of low-priced and valuable accessories.

I laid them all on the floor and made selection while cleaning the dust. I released my sentimental attachment and just sorted it according to, again, destination. Keep (things I really like or gift from special persons), giveaway (excess from impulsive buying that I never wear), Mama (things I took from Mama’s treasure chest that I rarely, if never, wear either), a friend to sell (other excess but mass product).

Like yesterday, I also noticed stages in my fashion style. It seems I once ‘tried’ to be more feminine by choosing sweet cute little things that of course I rarely wear. I know now that I have developed my like for little charms since long. I have tiny charms with windmill and Dutch girl in ethnic outfit from my trip to Holland long time ago. I was once crazy for big rings that I have a bowl of huge silver rings that have turned dark of oxidation. And, last but not least, I cherish every single gift I get from persons who have kept me in their mind. I gathered the gifts on “to wear” tray so I remember to wear them more often.

The project was done in less than an hour and half. So quick and satisfying. Now I know where I can find my valuables (designer jewelry, silver stuffs, and funky adornment of any kind). The "slow moving" are pack in a box and the "to wear" are laid on a tray. So compact. The giveaways have been distributed. The ‘merchandise’ is in a bag for repackaging. I alter some non-wearable accessories, because the size is too big, into home ware (tieback or towel ring). Later I got an idea of what to do with my big rings collection, I will turn it into an art installation. I like metal and natural material like wood. It would be nice to mix both in an artwork. Hm, a bulb turns on.

Another decluttering makes my life lighter.

Photo of canang (Balinese daily offering) in Monkey Forest street, Ubud.