Every Day is an Adventure

Thursday, August 16
Every morning when I wake up I think.. what is my today’s adventure? Every day is a challenge for me especially in the days like this week: I have two guests staying in Ubud House, a new CDMA phone, and a new laptop computer. All are in the same time. Guests were fine. I invited them so it’s my consequence – although now I know I could not take more than two nights per guest :-) (plus I need some two nights between two guests). Now I become particular. That’s true. I care about my time alone.
What about the new CDMA phone? I bought the cheapest Nokia in the market (not in authorized dealer) because I thought I don’t need good phone to just connect. I was wrong. Actually I always know about price never cheats. My phone has hard keypad and loud speaker that hurt my head. I could not stand talking more than 2 minutes. It becomes expensive now. I decided to buy a new one, better quality though still in affordable price, in authorized dealer. I don’t know how this one would be because it’s still being charged for the first time. It should be okay. The old new phone goes to Mbo Yan. She needs private phone (not sharing with husband) to run her business. So I’m happy.
New laptop computer? I spent all morning working on translation (another rush project, from World Bank this time) with the annoying space-bar that had to be pressed real hard. I managed to finish one of three articles though. Article had done but I could not proceed because wireless connection is bad since last night. Any website didn't show, signal is too weak. Another adventure. I don’t fight with the latter. Again, it’s beyond my control. I could just go to internet café to get connection if I need. What about my computer? I had long discussion in the computer shop to get replacement and as predicted… I’m not successful yet. By the way, I found a way to make the space-bar works. I have to press it right in the centre of the long bar, just below letters B and N. I like to do trick, even silly. I have to help myself to be able to survive. I need the computer to work, not just have fun.
Sabine was patient to be with me in my adventurous day. We also had nice adventure with Pak Ana. Ubud was busy with the last day of Odalan celebration that we had to take other route to get Tegallalang to pick up Sabine’s order. Another adventure on the way. Some two small roads were closed because of a big ceremony coming up – mass Ngaben (cremation) that involves several dead bodies instead of one. We had a good time taking pictures of the 'vehicles' prepared for the leftovers (bones) which are classified according to caste system (the white buffalo for the highest, other colors for the middle, and fish shape for the commoners). I enjoyed the temple decoration so much. Again, I’m amazed with the spirit of doing things together for birth and death, and many other celebrations of life. Only in Bali.
We ended the day watching sunset in Legian beach. We had late lunch, high tea, and early dinner in one meal time at 17:00. It was a really nice end of adventures together. Two girl friends who were not close before but enjoying the company of each other after three and half days together. I like Sabine. She has colors. She invited me to visit her home in Portugal. Would love to plan...
I got enough adventures the past ten days. I must admit, I am tired. Tired of instability. Of course it’s part of the adventure but I know what I need now. I need to regrouping my rhythm.
Photo of gate decoration at a temple for Ngaben.