Special Place Needs Special Person

Tuesday, July 31
My first day in Jakarta. I’m back to my routine. Got up early, read and did nothing at the same time, started the day very early,… I had to leave house before 8:00 to Museum BA to attend a short discussion about display where Vic was one of the panels.
It was a nice morning. The discussion was attended by about 40 persons from different museums in Jakarta. The Heritage chairwoman and the director of all museums in Indonesia were present too. I was the only one without ‘title’ except member of the Heritage :-) Actually, hardly one from the Heritage was interested in attending because it’s in Indonesian, or the topic didn’t appeal other Indonesian members.
Anyway, the first speaker was a professor from ITB. He described the SWOT of museum display. It’s a ‘one-way’ presentation. Good material but so-so presentation. I think he could make it more interesting if he speaks with ‘tone’ and more slides, examples of a not-so-good and good displays. It seems he had visited many museums in and out of country. He must have enough pictures to share.
I talked with the director during the presentation. She shared me her ‘desperation’ to make museums in Indonesia to meet minimal international standard: cleanliness, lighting, and display. I understand her desperation, it must be hard to motivate staffs who work without passion for art. Museum is a special place that needs special persons to manage. Not everybody can do the tasks.
Vic presentation was interesting. I liked to call it “his show” because, like singing, it’s very alive and interactive. He stands, walks, asks questions, makes people pondering and thinking,... No wonder the director liked him to facilitate discussions among museum staffs. They need someone to kick them to think and do. As government officials, they are trapped in routine because of many government rules in running an office. They can be creative but only a few who are able to think beyond the rules.
The discussion ended exactly in two hours. Too short for such a kick. They should have longer discussion with more elaboration to absorb a ‘hard kick’ so they can bring points to ponder home. I always have such feeling.. this is not enough, this is not enough,…
Ibu Eva from the museum managed to make us stay for lunch prepared for the crowd. Actually I longed to have a ‘decent’ lunch out but what to do, we had to stay for politeness :-) In the end, Vic and I were happy we had had a light lunch before going to Frangipani. We opened boxes I brought from Malang. It’s Benny’s brass bowls that Vic was also interested. Only later we both felt sleepy because Vic had short sleep and I got up too early.
We had nice crepes and ice cream before dentist appointment. I took Vic to meet Leo, my dentist. It was fun to meet the clinic staffs again. It’s been eight months since my last visit and we had a good laugh realizing that, in four months time, we are going to celebrate our third anniversary of knowing each other. Where does time fly? Leo has come to the last phase of his study in Singapore. It was like yesterday when he told me that he is back to school.
It was hilarious as always. The clinic won’t miss me if I’m around. They said they could hear me laughing from any room I’m present. One by one came to just greet me. It’s soo nice of them. I feel at home. Or, I make the place home? :-)
Photo of a tree I saw from the crepes café.