Tune Up
Do you order pizza sometimes? Oops.. It rang my bell. I hadn’t asked DHA what he wanted to eat although I had observed that he didn’t really enjoy my food the past two days he stayed with me. It got me thinking.. being a parent is something. While I expect him to tell me what he wants, he feels uneasy to ask. So the parent has to be the one who initiates? Same case in partnership? That we have to check with each other often?
That made me being a better parent today. I took him to computer shop to check his broken hard-drive. I exercised some options to optimize the lifetime of his laptop computer while minimizing the cost. He expects to get a new computer with W Vista soon so investing is not an option.
I also let him choosing the restaurant for lunch. It seemed that he cherished his memory about PS mall. He chose the same places he liked to visit before he moved to the U.S. eight years ago. He also enjoyed the mall clock that has nice ‘show’ every hour.
We went window-shopping separately. I let him walking around refreshing memory while I was doing my errand – same errand though, checking clothing sale :-)
We met up in a big bookshop. I asked him to stock up book. I thought about it since he came and was glad to realize that the thought is about being proactive (as parent?). The bookshop visit caused me a minor damage again. I selected two books by Kiran Desai (Man Booker Prize 2006 winner) and Neil Gaiman. I was attracted to Gaiman’s work (short stories) after reading his blog. I always like short stories because often I read two to three books simultaneously; like now I’m reading Murakami’s Birthday Stories and In the Miso Soup (by other Murakami, Ryu) which I have long time. Selecting a book to read is like tuning up mood. The right book for the right mood :-)
Tuning up continued. DHA chose dessert, fruit, and donuts he wanted before we headed home. I had to make sure he finishes everything he chose. I don’t want to have KK donuts in my fridge when he leaves. Ugh.
Anyway, I still have bedroom decluttering to do but don't want to do when DHA is around. I don’t want to leave him all day by caging myself in bedroom. I was thinking to do bit by bit everyday so can make progress at least. I don’t know.
By the way, funny that this morning I asked my staffs what they were going to do today. They said – softly – that they needed to tidy the workshop. What? I forgot about the Christmas tree.
Photo of xmas-deco dove I hang on desk-lamp.