You Are What Your Clutter
I felt dispirited to declutter this morning. Aaarrghh.. It’s good that the three boys were already here since 6:00. I had no choice but to start. They even started before 7:00 while I was still checking emails.
We started from two main junk centers: staffs’ foyer (near carport) and under stairs room where I put cleaner stock. What came out from both places were amazing. Such small spaces could store so many stuffs.
I didn’t do anything the first hour. I watched them taking everything out. Looking at the stuffs, I learned that most of my clutters were brought by my staffs especially in the foyer where I have less control because it’s more their area. I kept asking them what’s this what’s that. Newspaper pile was one meter high (of three daily and one weekly). Plastic bottles of many kinds. Used auto parts. Old batteries. I didn’t ask them why they kept this 'n that because I already knew the answer: Just in case.
And I didn’t have to tell them what to do either because they already knew what I thought about it. They put everything in a box-to-go right away. I also noticed that they kept half pint paints, half sack sand, cement,.. Hm. They worked hard before my eyes. It’s nice that I don’t have to say anything because I always make myself clear.
As of my part, the space under my control was not good either. Like taking stock, I found a stove I don’t use (a very good one), unused mixer and fruit extractor, floor polisher (brand new), framed posters, four mirrors without frame ex cabinet, many kinds of free handbag from shops (computer, sports, clothing), even some items as part of gift stock, and.. sea of paper bags!
After sorting out the others – which to keep, which to go – I selected the paper bags myself. I don’t have real reason why I kept those paper bags over the years. I just stuffed them in one bigger paper bag and pushed it to the junk room after full, then started again with another paper bag, on and on for years. I had once decluttered them but that was a long time ago. I believe what I had today was from the last five years.
The good thing (or the hardest thing) about it, the paper bags were all in good condition, so I didn’t have reason to throw them away. I categorized them according to size and quality. I planned to give away. I know many people like good paper bags.
What mesmerized me was the paper bags variety, I noticed the pattern. I wear same brand of clothes, handbags, and cosmetics; I shop in the same shop wherever I go: Jakarta, Bali, Singapore, Hongkong. So boring!! I even tried to count how many handbags of a same brand I have because I found so many paper bags of the brand, like haunting me every time I pulled the same green from the stack. Ugh.
I also found one big paper bag contained knick-knack from my office desk back to eight years. I think that was from the last day I left office. The rubber-band ball had melted. Some loose photos of some events. Old calendars. Old appointment book (very nice with Indonesian touch that I plan to cut out for collage). And of course, my personal files (banking, book order, biodata). Today I let my girl shredding credit card and bank statements because too many. I was around so she didn’t have time to read :-) And it’s good if it’s done by other, I would not spend time to read and recall the memories.
I took a short break after four hours and thought that I would never return. I was overwhelmed by the variety and volume of every thing. But I had to, so I continued doing till the next two hours while the boys looked after other parts (kitchenette and vase collection shelves). One of the girls asked me twice how I came to have so many paper bags. I smiled. Don't tell me.
I could feel that everybody enjoyed the activity. It was like a treasure hunting. Chiko was happy too, he was busy climbing piles and scratching boxes. I felt so good after I called today's decluttering ended. I was all sweaty but.. happy!
Photo of my favorite yogi (not shameful man) in balcony.