Monday, December 11, 2006

Hop!


This morning I spent an hour to finalize films I want to watch at JIFFEST. I don’t want to spend time every morning to go through the complicated schedule to find what I want for the day. I exercised every possibility to maximize but set two-films-per-day limit.

For those who know me, I was not a movie-goer and still am. I select film very carefully because I don’t want to spend time for ‘something that I cannot take home’. Am I too serious? No. I just like to do other thing than watching film :-)

I narrowed down my selection by dropping old films of 1930-1950, films about depressing war and ‘useless’ action, documentary (usually about someone who worked to conserve animal) and true story films (it happens nothing is good); films about the life of flower-generation bands and classical composers; films by Indonesian (which I can get the DVD in the market) and Korean/Japanese/Chinese (too melancholy story); animation,… But I selected short films (4 to 11 minutes) made by Asian film-makers. About 4 to 6 short films from each country (times two) are played, like watching one ‘regular’ film in total. I want to see that.

I like what came to me this morning. Having tried to accomplish many times, I wanted to start to procrastinate less from today on. I started from daily chores. I didn’t postpone to do simple things; refilling hand soap, ironing daily clean laundry (which usually done after a few days and could end up piling up after one week), and cleaning the inside of microwave. I also observed myself not able to delegate household chores to staffs. Not that I don’t trust my staffs (okay, I don’t trust them) but I like to do myself and often do as long as I remember.

I also realized when I say I want to procrastinate less (which I have said many times now), it is more a declaration every time. Blog has helped me to ‘declare’. I told USP, the guy who did the blog research, that blog helps me to take inventory of ‘properties’ I have. What I am good at, what I lack for. In the end, blog helps me to know more about myself.

Anyway, I might plan but the reality offered me different situation. I was surprised to find the theatres’ lobby full and later I found out tickets had finished. Not sold out because it’s a “free” day. All films played in all theatres today were free. For free films, we need to stand in queue – as long as we want – because tickets are only distributed one hour before the time.

I spent some time in the counter to figure out what I wanted to do next. I checked the paid films and decided to buy tickets for two good films (package of two tickets). Then I checked what’s still available to kill time because RAD could only come after 18:00.

I watched Hop. Theatre was less than half full. I sat next to students – I smelled alcohol and smoke ugh. I moved but only to find other student with legs raised up near my seat. Hm. I didn’t expect anything from my neighbor seats and Hop. I browsed the synopsis last minute. The film was interesting because it’s sepia – near black and white – but not black and white if you know what I mean. Only some scenes appeared with a little bit of colors. Like photo.

The genre is comedy but I don’t have same idea. It’s quite a serious but a bit impossible (like many) film. I liked because the film showed the different side of human.

Same case, I could not get ticket for the next film. The queue was very long and suddenly gone because the capacity of the theatre is only 420 seats. I called RAD who’s already in parking area and we decided to have early dinner. I chose the place, a fish restaurant. We had super dinner. Very delicious! The day ended nicely with.. hop!

Hop

Director : Dominique Standaert
Casts : Kalomba Mboyi, Ansou Diedhiou
Production : 2002
Country : Belgium
Genre : Comedy
Duration : 103 Min
Language : Dutch/French (with English subtitles)
Synopsis :
Set in Brussels, the film follows an African teenager named Justin and his father as they struggle to overcome racism in the predominantly white surroundings of the city, and cope with the hassles of being illegal immigrants. When Justin's father is caught by the authorities and in danger of being deported, Justin must think of a way to save him so that they can be together again. He finds an unlikely ally in Frans, a reclusive communist activist who spends his time building bombs in his home.