Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What a coincidence?!


RK, the present H chairwoman, is a woman with high spirit. She has lots of interest that brings H to a new horizon as organization. She only starts chairing six months but her works are noticeable and bring fresh air. One of her works is organizing lectures quite frequently at the H library. It’s a small scale event – about fifty members capacity – but is 'big' because the topic is often unique. Things you do not always get from media or direct sources unless attending larger event like conference of the sort.

I didn’t intend to attend the Triangle Coral lecture today. It’s on-off because of the 3-in-1 regulation where I had to find two more passengers to go thru. Good that KAT wanted to see me and I thought the lecture would be interesting too; hard kick.. I texted AMA and got her to go with me and my driver. She said that I caught her the right time because today was the only day she's free. Nice coincidence..

The lady who delivered the talk is an Indonesian but seemed that she spent long time in Holland (she is Holland graduated). She spoke perfect English with Dutch accent. She is head of a conservancy U.S.-based-NGO in Indonesia. She talked about the largest diverse coral in triangle area where Indonesia included almost the whole area. Her office does campaign to educate people to conserve coral in their area. Many areas are located in remote islands as Indonesia has thousand islands. It’s interesting that the team has to work with many different ethnic groups using many different approaches to get people to practice.

In the end, after Q and A, we realized how ignorant we could be as part of the universe. We don’t have idea how rare the fish we eat in a restaurant in HK. The fish that needs a bunch of coral to be destroyed because of the cyanide the fishermen use to catch the fish alive. And the cyanide! It dilutes in water but can someone imagine how much the fish has sucked up the cyanide?!

And what about corals and shells we pick up on our holiday? The corals people buy to decorate aquarium at home? The demand has destroyed a big part of corals that takes decades to repair. We hardly actually think about how they collect and how huge the impact could be to the ecosystem’s balance. Good that I have realized this since long time. I don’t collect shell and anything from sea, let alone buy, although in one point of time in the past I also had.

Only fish that got me thinking now especially that kind of expensive fish a fine dine restaurant often offers. In conclusion, we need to educate ourselves in order to participate in conserving nature. NGOs may campaign but what if we just take the information for granted? We don’t have instructors like our fellows in remote areas who have direct connection with nature that the NGO puts efforts to educate. We need more awareness.

Today I had ticket for the film before the show. It’s luxury to be able not to rush. I watched Breaking and Entering. I had sensed that this film is kind of Hollywood style but I wanted to know. I don’t particularly like Jude Law especially he looked skinnier in the film.

Hey, I don’t know what to comment about the film. After only three films, I realized that a good film is hard to find – like a good painting. Many are fine and enjoyable but not many ‘can be taken home’ – like this one. Again, too many coincidences. Two burglaries within two weeks, one failed attempt, stolen car returned, managed to know where the thief lives, the thief’s mom is attractive, and 'unreal' ending again. Aaargh. Is it possible to experience many coincidences in such a short time?

Photo of my JIFFEST gear; jacket, sweets, program book, tickets, book to read, and the usual.

Breaking and Entering

Director : Anthony Minghella
Casts : Jude Law, Juliette Binoche, Robin Wright Penn, Martin Freeman
Production : 2006
Country : UK/USA
Genre : Drama
Duration : 120 Min
Language : English
Synopsis :
Will (Jude Law) is an architect with a trendy office located in Kings Cross, London. The workplace proves to be a magnet for burglars, including the young Miro. When Miro finally breaks in the office, Will follows the thug home to the seedy area of the city, and meets Miro’s mother Amira (Juliette Binoche) who is actually a Bosnian refugee. Amira’s fragile presence leads Will to embark on a passionate journey, leaving his problematic relationship with his girlfriend (Robin Wright Penn) and his autistic daughter Bea behind.