Big Chunk of Life

Yesterday we debated in car about bad traffic in Jakarta. I was the only one who enjoyed macet while driving (only when time is not a constraint). PEN said that a big chunk of life is gone in Jakarta macet. That’s very true! But for me, there must be a 'reward' in the other end waiting for us to discover. Unless we won’t be in the macet, right?
Whatever. I let a big chunk of my life slipped away today. It started in the morning when I drove to PEN’s. The usual 10 minutes drive turned into 45 minutes. I was early, I enjoyed motorist zig-zaging my car. CEN was nervous yesterday. She thought I was too brave to let motorist riding to close to car. That’s how I enjoy my ‘well-beaten’ car. It stands the test of driving in Jakarta. It has been kissed by bajaj, motor, taxi, bus,…
I was in time still. Sitting in PEN’s car I thought.. It’s so nice to be with good girlfriend. We have understanding.. PEN read newspaper, I browsed fashion magz I grabbed from her restroom. We both sat in silence almost the whole trip. I also enjoyed being under sun but cool in aircon-ed car. I was not like that long time ago. I would be busy covering self to keep my skin fair. Now I enjoy my color more. Not tan, but nicely ‘baked’. It looks healthy.
PEN sighed. Secretary of Irwan called and said that we better came at 11:30. We were way too early then. We agreed to have bites at Pizza Hut near Irwan’s. It’s nice. Both of us were hungry like wolves. We growled grabbing salad in salad bar. So nice to be the firsts to dig. 10:40 still!!
We were off ten minutes before 11:30. Traffic was still manageable. I asked PEN to ask for direction. We were on and on and on till we found a bridge near a market. It was getting macet. Very bad traffic because of damaged road. I asked her to call again.. This time I talked. Wrong direction. We had to U-turn and plunged into heavy macet on the way back.
PEN was furious at the girl who gave her wrong direction. I smiled and continued browsing the nice magz. Nothing was better than having something to do in macet. I enjoyed more sunshine (volume 8 by then). PEN dozed helplessly.
We ended up arriving late, almost 12. Irwan had waited for us. We talked in his office cum museum. Irwan Williams is a jewelry designer who has lived in Indonesia long time. He reminded me of Symon of Campuhan. His uniqueness, his knowledge, his passion for gemstones,.. So energizing.
By the way, we met him to make appointment for summer study group trip PEN and I arrange. We talked about what we expected him to share and show. He was excited to squeeze our group in his busy schedule having exhibition in the US.
On the way back we realized. We spent 3.5 hours in traffic and waiting -- for half an hour ‘reward’. PEN is right. How Jakarta wastes our time.. We were kaput. Sun was shining at volume 9.5 by then. I pushed myself to do more after PEN’s house. Collecting laundry.
I’m happy tho.. Today I did a lot of small errands without putting off. I still have uglier frogs to swallow, but cute frogs have gradually disappeared. Also, I finished my latest artwork Different Eyes this morning.
Photo was taken at S.A.M.