Friday, June 2, 2006

Waiting..

Last night, at RIT’s farewell, sitting next to me was a German young lady who only lived in Jakarta two months. Chit-chat with us, she asked NT and BIR who sat opposite her
What are you doing here? Three of us felt the hit. Yaa..
What are we doing here (in Jakarta)?

German BIR quickly answered Wasting time!! My jaw dropped. Mm I don’t think that’s the right word, BIR. Then we tried to find the right word.. that never came right! We ARE wasting time but noo… I finally said We are spending time! Not the right word still, only.. better!

I kept the Q till this morning. I still tried to find the right answer to the Q while sitting in PEN’s car. It’s so nice that she sent her driver to pick me up, real luxury not to have to sit in cab.

Last night I asked NT whether she misses her husband who works in Nigeria. She said – almost in tears – how she misses him so much but she has no easy choice. AT travels a lot, if she lives in Nigeria, she would end up living by herself in the jungle. She has life in Jakarta. I didn't say a thing. We are all wishing something we do not have now.

We do spend time to wait for nice things to come. Time to go home, time to meet loved one, time to eat, time to travel,… We never wait for not-nice things to happen. That’s how we spend our time. Waiting.

I was glad to have decided to wear colors today. Loud color (to me). I pulled powdery pink skirt from my messy closet, then fuchsia top came to mind. My colorful handbag was still sitting on the floor from past days. And finally, yellow pump to complete the rainbow. Later after lunch, NDY said that I should be a fashion stylist. Ehm.

Today we visited MAG’s studio. Funky studio in Kemang. She showed us more of his digital artwork and gave us quick tips to make digital collage. I was interested in quick learning the basic principle of Photoshop. Then to know the function of each command. I could not master it in an hour, but now I know how it works, and learning by doing is the only way to master it.

It’s fun to see how fast she worked a photo to make a digital artwork. In ten minutes, I could say I could use the artwork for personal greeting cards. No wonder she could handle many personal book projects. She also showed us the audio visual of the book! Pages from the book came 'alive' with motion and music. That’s new to me. It’s a good idea for audio-visual 'backdrop' of an event. She is very clever!

I know I should make myself book for loved ones. I know I can do. But.. my perfectionism may tire me. Working with computer enables us to explore thousands of ideas. I would never know when to stop, or to decide an artwork finished!

Again, I was sitting in PEN’s car on the way home – by myself after dropping her off – wishing many to happen otherwise. Aircon was not too cold, had nice friend to have coffee, had time to swallow the ugliest frog, had loved one to spend Sunday,..


It's hard to believe that I had to use ilmu kudu iso to attach photos in the last three posts. Photos could ONLY be uploaded in my 'announcement' post (which I hide now). What I do then, cut the link from that post, then paste it to the post I wanted. So strange!