Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wellness


I watched the time. Auch. I don’t have much time. I shortened my morning ritual to be ready by 7:30 when my good uni friend comes to my place. He had a meeting in Denpasar yesterday and planned to spend the day with me in Ubud before his flight at 4:20 this afternoon. Fine with me.

We have an idea to develop a business together in Ubud. He has started a recreational facility in Batu, near Malang, and would like to see the possibility to develop the same in Ubud. So we talked about it over breakfast.

His initial project has run well so he wanted to do survey of spa in Ubud to get ideas about style he likes. He plans to build one as an extension project to the previous one. When he asked through text message yesterday, suddenly I realized that I knew little about spa. I’ve passed many spas in Bali (and in Ubud) but I don’t have idea what it takes a good spa. Uh uh.

So I didn’t come up with a name of place. As I knew he aimed for big names for the up market so I could only mention the top boutique resort in Ubud. He agreed for us to visit a place, the tip of the tops. It happened someone has showed him the same destination. So off we went.

It’s a nice trip to the inside of small villages. My second trip to the location. It’s heaven in a remote Ubud by the famous Ayung River. I always feel astonished being in ‘different world’ in Bali. The resort has simple modern lines without appearing ‘off’ the Balinese surrounding. It’s a good design. Sleek.

I giggled when we had to fill in the form and sign a disclaimer before getting a treatment. The feeling is like signing a statement for HIV test. From the questions, I could see that I’m healthy. Do I have good appetite? Do I gain weight easily? Do I sleep well? Do I suffer an injury? Do I exercise regularly? Do I have problem in digestion? Do I suffer regular running nose and headache? I told my friend, the therapist (that’s how they call the masseuse) might refuse to treat me as I have no apparent problem. It was fun. Sure they have to do a very well due diligence before giving such high-rate treatment.

After treatment and lunch that make me feel like having done moral crime, I spent the evening having a blind date. My friend sent her French girlfriend to meet me. Actually, it’s my choice to meet or not to meet but I agreed to meet to keep my sanity on Saturday night. She is tall at 180. We talked non-stop almost three hours. It’s always fun to meet new person.

What a day! I feel very well now.

Photo of garden at Como Shambala today.