Tourist

Mama is in town since yesterday. I didn’t plan to meet her because of her tight tour program. But then after I got a text message about where she stays and what next in the program? Hm.. So I met her in Denpasar. She went to Bali with a group of 20 and stays in their friend daughter’s house. It’s a really nice big house with five bedrooms. Mama got a room for herself as she’s the oldest. Nice merry people, the same friends from Mama’s birthday party. They were surprised to see me again in different town.
I joined in the tour after lunch. They are nice to reserve a seat for me in the bus. They ride a bus of 30 but the remaining seats are already full with stuffs including snack and drinks. So I told an Ibu to imagine what the bus looks like on the way back home. She laughed.
We went to Kuta to enjoy the sand. It’s always good to be a tourist in your own town. That’s when I found out about the transportation system in Kuta. A friend dreams of the same to be implemented in Ubud. The bus parks in a vast car park (that I just knew yesterday why the park which is part of a shopping center I often come for hardware is vast). The open car that took us to Kuta area, 10 minutes ride, is similar to the Philippine Jeepney minus the bright colors though close. It was fun. I sat near the opening and interacted with a little boy on a motorbike during the trip.
I took Mama walking along the Kuta beach. Honestly, it’s also my first time to walk along the strip watching the life by the beach. Dark surfer boys tending surfboards, tourist sunbathing on the white sand, busy local cafés selling rujak and bakso, stalls selling high piles of beach sarong, women offering massage, men offering temporary tattoo, girls sitting on the side chitchatting…
Mama could not walk with ease anymore. And it’s not easy to walk on the sand, so after quite a long walk, I took her to an Italian restaurant in the opposite of the street while waiting for the time to meet again with the group. I had nice chat with Mama over nice juices and a tiramisu. I could see she enjoyed her time with me. We rarely had time to chat in different setting so the beach view is really special for us.
The next destination was Ungasan, after passing Nusa Dua area, to see the Garuda Wisnu Kencana. It’s a giga project that only one-third done. The giga Wisnu sculpture has only head and half torso installed. That was my second time visiting the place. I liked to see the man-made limestone escarpment. It’s giga chunky blocks surround the recreational facilities. There are some amphitheaters showing different Balinese performances. We were in time to watch Kecak and fire dance in the twilight. It’s a nice open-air theater.
In the end of the trip, I felt tired. It’s a long hot day. But the other Ibu seemed to having a huge stock of energy, they wanted to shop! The guide took us to a well-known shop that has low price so no need to bargain. I didn't remember if I ever heard about the shop. It seems the tourists know more than the local, like many things else. I shopped a bit for Mama and myself then take a taxi to get my car. It’s a nice driving back home at 9pm. The narrow streets had been deserted but I found out… both my city lamps burnt out!
Photo of Mama in Kuta beach yesterday.