Confirmation

Maria, the owner of the shop I planned to rent, called me when I was in the bus yesterday. She mentioned about her husband’s friend is also interested in renting the space. She checked me out first with.. but. But the rental is higher and the period is three times longer than she told me. Hm. I didn’t feel right but didn’t want to react so I told her to talk again the next day. Today.
I sought an advice from a friend over online chat last night. I had a strategy to face Maria today when he suggested me otherwise. His advice was to drop the space. I thought the idea to forget about the business was emotional that I avoided. So I told him that I would sink it in before sleep and when wake up in the morning. He agreed with me to just listen to my inner voice.
I passed the space I had dreamed for months when I ran to buy Mama delicacy she likes. I had a chance to see Mama for a few minutes in the bus that stopped near Pasar Ubud early this morning. When I walked away from Mama’s bus in the morning sun, I had nice time to really sink in the issue. I smiled. I realized I had lost my appetite altogether. My inner voice had told me.
I sat in Bali Buddha cafĂ© having a blueberry lassi. I called a friend in Jakarta who happens to also know Maria. He is Maria’s customer too. Ya, Maria is tribal art supplier. His first reaction was the same reaction my friend told me last night. Before I told him that actually I also had come to the same decision, I told him my plan as a businessman. I thought I need to face Maria to do due diligence before announcing a pullout. I felt that’s the right procedure. My friend understood my point but then reminded me that I would never come to a win-win negotiation with Maria because she’s not a good sport. I knew that actually but had tended to deny. Then I know. When I thought the decision to pull out in the first place was emotional, actually my decision to do due diligence is more emotional.
I felt relieved with my decision. To let Maria keeps the shop for whatever she wants. I thanked my friends for their opinions that have helped me to confirm my decision. I sent numerous text messages to close friends who had happened to know about my plan. To a friend in Ubud, I said I lost the space. Celebrate life! He wondered why I wanted to celebrate a disappointment. I reminded him that life is about celebration. Happiness and disappointment. He’s so nice to send me Let’s celebrate at 11.
So I spent the rest of the afternoon with him. Having lunch then going from art shop to art shop in Monkey Forest area. He liked to take me in his mission so the mission to do price survey wouldn’t be detected by the shopkeeper. He thought I looked like a nyonyah besar.
We talked a lot about the art business since we sat in the warung where we had long lunch. We continued our discussion after each shop then onto another. I learned a lot from my art friend but more of confirmation too. Again, I was confirmed by the fact that people hardly give any kind of nice treatment in running a business. I asked my friend if my attitude has shown that I’m not a good businessman. He agrees.
I learn more about the business world today. Firstly, I could not expect others to have the same value like mine. Finally, now I know why women like to keep the news about their pregnancy until months later.
What about me now? I’m a happy girl who just lost an opportunity.
Photo of a gate as part of the man-made limestone escarpment at Garuda Wisnu Kencana park.