Monday, December 31, 2007

The Villa Business


It’s the last day of the year. Ubud is hot all day. The sun! It’s like normal Bali. I spent my day on the street. Ubud is a bit quiet, less tourist buses, no bad traffic. Business has calmed down but many places will be open tomorrow. I have checked. Except bank, all are normal. Good. I’m glad I have the chance to spend the change of the year in a place where I want to spend time more next year. Jakarta feels so far away now. I haven’t listed my annual resolutions but I know I have to settle my life soon. That's when I feel the need to open eyes and mind more about the possibilities.

The owner of the Ubud House, Pak Pugig, lives with his wife in a small room (like house actually with gas stove inside and separate door bath) in the parking area of his property: two houses for rent (the Ubud House, I name, and its sister-villa rented by Australian lady who never stays in the house) and a house a Canadian old lady built and occupied. Pak Pugig only spends the evening in his room-house so since I moved in I wonder where he spends his day. I found out later he is in another business property not far from the Ubud House.

I got the idea about his other business bit by bit because we hardly talked seriously about it. So after feeling curious long time, I had a chance to visit Pak Pugig’s other property the other day. It happened he was around when I was ready to go so he took me through shortcut path behind many private villas inside Penestanan green vegetation. It was a nice trip along wet path and by paddy field. I enjoyed many nice villas from the backside. I wonder how the owners get access to potential clients if they don’t have entrance by the main road. Some villas don’t even have parking lot, the premises are only accessible through narrow path by ditch. And those villas are nice place to stay! I guess either they market it through the internet or the network they have established (the community or past clients).

So Pak Pugig’s other property is three villas he built in 1985. It looks different than of the Ubud House and its sisters. It’s Bali style with more open areas in each villa that has low ceiling. It has a pool (not so big) near a public area with a pool table. The villas are generally more spacious but look dirty because of the open parts. I’m glad that I occupy totally different style of villa: closed, simple but modern with less Balinese trimming except the wooden ceiling.

The three villas are behind Pak Pugig’s big-family compound that consists of a number of relatives’ houses, very Bali style, and a family temple. I met his two good-looking sons and a daughter (he has five kids). I adore his wife, a beautiful Balinese, although already old. I heard from Mbo Yan that the family produces Balinese rice wine (brem) that I haven’t had a chance to taste. I don’t see a business life though when I was there. I only saw that they were busy preparing offering for Tumpek Unduh (a celebration for plants). I always like to see how serious Balinese preparing an event, whatever event, especially the monthly Purnama that they consider major.

I had a good time walking in the property. Walking back home through the main road had given me a different experience. Apparently Pak Pugig’s property is not that close from the Ubud House. It’s good I had umbrella although I still felt like melting in the sun. It’s just nice to experience the difference of walking inside a village and in the main road. The view and the heat. I would like to go inside the village again next time. It has view that I don’t enjoy everyday.

I learn from the visit. Although location for business is important in any situation, but in a place like Bali, any location can be a good location. Like a spa near the Ubud House, which the building cannot be seen from the main road, but it can still have reasonable business. Yumi’s salon too. She markets it through the internet so potential clients in Japan can have the information before they fly to Bali and her customers actually make trip to Ubud from Jimbaran! Therefore, my feeling, a villa business can also benefit from the same method of marketing.

I’m happy that I finally made the trip to Pak Pugig’s to help me to take off next year!

Photo of a banner in front of a gallery in the main road of Ubud.