The Language
Lately I’m thinking about my competence to use any language properly because I want to write… better. I don’t have patience to make draft of say a blog post, let alone an email (that I often 'slightly regret' to have sent). Once I finish writing, I publish it. I used to read again my writing a few times before publish but with uncertain internet connection like in Ubud, I have to do it the sooner I get better signal. Anyway, that’s not an excuse. I just don’t have patience. Archer’s script goes through three drafts before he hands it to his personal assistant. And, his piece too will be undergoing ‘surgery’ by the publisher’s editor. It’s nice to read Archer’s life journal because it tells how he does in the 'kitchen'. Oh by the way, of course Archer has to have patience with his work. It’s his profession to write. Grin.
No more excuse. I observe my Indonesian. I don’t speak Javanese well. Like using other language, I also have problem with diction. The thing is I like to invent a new term so that becomes confusing for some people. Only a few can follow my thought with flow (I mean without asking for further explanation). Back to my Indonesian, I don’t speak with any particular dialect (maybe Jakarta more) although I have slight Javanese accent. My Indonesian sounds awkward sometimes because I use ‘close-to-proper’ grammar, but if I simplify it sounds odd too like someone who just learns to use the language.
I think I face bigger challenge to keep my Indonesian proper in Ubud. In Bali, like in Java, people use their vernacular so their Indonesian is not as good. It’s not their mother tongue or first language. So when I speak proper Indonesian, I face someone stares blankly at me or if on the phone I would hear Uh uh. That’s when I have to speak slower and use simplified Indonesian. That ruins my language! I have started to speak the same way in Jakarta!! Aaargh…
It’s interesting. Often when I was in my open bathroom, I heard conversation between a Balinese ibu and a male foreigner whom I guess live behind Ubud House. I enjoyed the interaction as the foreigner learns to speak Balinese with his little Indonesian. This morning I heard:
+ Hi, how are youuu? (Balinese speak like shouting, with long ending)
- Fine.
+ What are you doiiing?
- Waiting for matahari..
+ Matahari has gone!
- Yaa, only one. Apa one in Bali(nese)?
+ Besik.
- Apa?? Besik?!
+ Besiiik!
I could not help smiling. The conversation topic varies from time to time; about weather, his plan, her plan,… What I like about them is.. they sound so cheerful anytime of the day. Whatever language they use – proper not proper – they’re just happy and able to communicate well.
So what about my goal to use proper language? Wait, I better mend my way to communicate.
Photo of a shop sign in Monkey Forest.