The Team
A friend asked the other day how’s the new art group. She is also member but hasn’t joined any meeting yet because of travel. I told her the group is okay, it’s fun. And she laughed.. No, no, you didn’t tell me. I laughed. Yes, she and I were members of the most wonderful art group seven to four years ago. We hardly got the same nice click group ever since. Well, I feel it but I don’t make it big. They are okay although they are not fabulous.
Now I’m part of BA Museum team for revamping. I don’t remember how I join the team. Hm.. the Heritage’s chairwoman pushed me. That was more than six months ago. I didn’t know anybody in the team except the chairwoman. But of course after several meetings, now I know them. How I feel about the team? I don’t feel click. Strange feeling. They are nice people with ideas, enthusiastic,.. what else I expect of a team member?
It happens we work with a government office that manages the Museum. We know that we have to have a big spare of patience to work with them. Meetings were hardly productive. They enjoyed talking and sharing ideas. After the meeting, we all do our own business. And the next meeting would be the same. I once cut the circle by making BA’s time line so people could start talking about something. But still, I enjoy listening more even after that.
So we had two hour meeting today. I kept quiet as usual as they talked about the same thing again. I like action more than talking. If we don’t show a progress, I don’t think a meeting can be more productive. The team leader asked me why I kept quiet. I smiled. Later she realized that the Museum staff actually had not much to say but managed to talk the whole meeting. That’s the art of meeting with two languages. Lost in translation.
I’m glad the team leader finally came up with idea to put all ideas in writing and give the Museum staff alternatives of what they expect us to assist them. That’s a nice shortcut rather than trying to fish for the Museum staff’s concept about a good house-museum they want. Fait a compli is the best answer some times :-)
That drains my morning. A good team ignites my creativity and enthusiasm, but a not-click team gives me a feeling of going nowhere. Like hitting a wall, I feel like I've walked far but actually I only march on the same spot. Anyway, I’m not complaining. I’m observing myself.
I sold many necklaces again. Now I have at least four channels (including frequent buyers) to market my necklace. I have sold more than 130 necklaces in six months since I started creating. I’m very happy and look forward to creating more next week in Ubud.
Photo of a Dutch tile in Keraton Kasepuhan, Cirebon.