The Contribution

Last night I watched Bono of U2 in Oprah show. I just realized that he’s a really cool guy. Not just the look, but also of what he does through the RED project. I didn’t follow U2 and RED although of course I know the influence of both names. Sometimes something has to be brought before our eyes so that we can see and appreciate more. We’re too busy with our daily lives that so many good things in the world just passing without being ‘properly’ noticed.
So Bono. He reminds me of my good friend who shared with me how he wants to make a significant contribution in the universe. Not for an honor, simply for a contribution. The same idea has haunted me for years now. I haven’t done enough for the community. Yes, I have sponsored some kids I know to get better education but that’s not enough, I want to do something in ‘larger’ scale. I admire my friend who’s involved in collecting secondhand books for small private libraries in villages. Also, another friend who becomes part of an organization that raises fund to help people in natural disaster areas. And more, a friend who actively writes about women’s issues to increase people's awareness. And a lot more out there…
Well, I’m not a “just do it” person. I bind myself with considerations and my personal ‘weakness’. Like my issue on working in a team. I’m good in “the kitchen” with cooking and washing dishes, but I’m not good as part of the runner. I’m not a good negotiator and more I like to work in my own pace. So I’m good and not-so-good at the same time.
Back to Bono. He is good because he uses his fame to do good things. He has strong foundation to do so. I like to ponder about building a strong backbone first. But I also think that’s not a good excuse to not start doing good things now. Actually I can start anytime in any circumstance. Ideally, I can do much better with strong foundation like tidy life back home.
I don’t want to wait. I’ve been thinking about creating a project in Ubud soon and I’m going to use this stay to start collecting ideas. To define what to do is trickier then the execution, I feel. I admire ladies who set up a shelter for stray dogs in Nyuh Kuning, or a Bali-dog lover group to help the community taking care of the dogs. But I want to assist people more. I nearly cried the other day learning that Ayu’s mother earns 20 cents (!) per day from cleaning certain fruit, material for handicraft. It opens my eyes why Bali craft can be stunningly cheap. I feel bad about it. We consume underpaid labor work? But how far can I help the community? I remember my Balinese business buddy 'warned' me not to pay my staffs above ‘normal rate’ in the area which I feel it's still below humane standard.
Hm.. another homework to think about. Do something. Make contribution.
Photo of a bird seller in Pasar Kanoman, Cirebon.