unComfortable Day
Friday, May 11
Hey, you should buy share in internet company as you use it so much. Peng replied to me after tons of email to organize farewell dinner for five ladies of the art group who will leave this summer. Yes Peng, I have broadband on during waking hours so I hardly missed any incoming emails :-) but today my virtual world was quiet :-(
I decided to take my laptop computer to computer shop to check virus and be installed with the latest anti-virus. I had obsolete anti-virus for some time because the pirated version had been black listed. I don’t like such version but IT boys always have argument that I could not fight back.
Sigit asked me to leave the computer in shop over night. I refused. I persuaded him to finish it before 16:00 so I could pick up and avoid 3-in-1 traffic regulation. I felt ‘empty’ without computer at home since noon. I took pictures of 18 necklaces I made the past two days and finished a ‘strange’ order from a lady I met in bazaar. She wanted the necklace and bracelet just plain. It’s not my signature but I don’t know why I accepted.
I was so happy to know that my computer didn’t need to be reformatted because the virus was manageable. I was happy to start my evening with computer, I had some emails to be responded for next travel.
Like anything else when a part is to be refined, the whole system becomes imbalance. My computer becomes imbalance. I could not use IE. I thought the connection was poor, it was not. I was fiddling around for some time to check all modes to connect: broadband, dial-up, and CDMA. Nothing. I restarted and the dial-up worked suddenly. I got an idea to use Firefox. I managed to reply to some emails before the connection suddenly out again. More fiddling… I called Sigit but he had no clue. Like other profession, shortcut is the best choice. He suggested reformatting the computer – that I don’t like. For no reason, I don’t like the idea of backing up and installing back. I don’t have such important files but what I have is important of course, even silly pictures of Chiko, or… my necklaces. Aah..
So I searched for the recovery disc that comes with new computer. I checked my drawer and found numerous programs of obsolete gadget. I found them all but… the recovery disc. I tried to be calm and think positively; believe that good thing would happen. Nothing.
I gave up. I could only hope things are not as scary. Stay positive. Last night a friend stopped me from saying I don’t have courage. He suggested me to say something like I haven’t stretched my courage yet. So this evening I said to myself that there must be a way to overcome this (I read in the Guide Book that actually we could recover without disc).
Didn’t know what to do, I started tidying my place – things I stop doing since I travel a lot. I just pay attention to my work area; it has to be tidy after work. I moved things and half an hour later I enjoyed the result. It doesn’t take time actually.
Anyway, Sigit promised to come at 8:00 (!) tomorrow. He’s so kind to offer me such service. Well, he ‘had to’ because I refused his proposal to fix my computer all day in his workplace. I want him to do as quickly as possible before my eyes :-)
Now I don’t know what to write. Today is not my comfortable day. It’s a good intermezzo to remind me to appreciate more of my comfortable dayS.
Photo of bus ad about eating comfortably.