Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mau Pulaaang..


I slept short as I had predicted. I don’t like the bed, the smell, the velvety blanket, and the blower for the air-con above my head. It was terrible that I had to put my Bali sarong around shoulders and head to cover all. So hard to sleep that I could only manage to stay in light sleep for 3.5 hours. I stayed in bed for an hour before decided to start my computer around 5:00. Internet was not working last night because of weak signal in the room and I was too tired to try in balcony.

I got out balcony around 6:00 after the sky lightened a bit. Moni was still sleeping very tight (I envied). Internet worked that I could check email and blog-post. I was so happy that I ran out of time to prepare myself. We had to get together at lobby at 7:45! What a morning with running around room to prepare and tidy my mess. I swallowed my boiled egg and a slice of bread with honey that came very late. I had to have something because the program would be tight.

We visited Kenyem that I had met three years ago. He kept similar style, nice but a bit boring, more craft than a real work (ehm sorry to say). I enjoyed his garden while listening to him talking about his new work. The ladies were busy taking out his paintings from the stack. Vive eyed some of his works.

Our next visit was Sadu, Kenyem’s childhood friends, in the opposite road. He is a very shy man. His studio is behind the main house in front, next to a small pig farm. The smell oh so nice… His work is simple and original but he was too shy to set price for his work. Well, he’s an upcoming artist. His price is rising by time. Vive was interested in at least two paintings that he was still thinking if he would sell. He’s not so enthusiastic about the possibility of selling paintings to the ladies. Strange but… I understand the way he’s thinking.

Djirna, uncle of Kenyem, was next. We had to wait for him to arrive for half an hour. So boring that we planned to run to a gallery next door to get a good coffee. He was a very well known painter that sold paintings like hot cakes. His time is over. It’s not easy to work in the art world where mood has a big role in determining the quality of the work. Apparently his mood is not good the last few years. His last pieces show aggressiveness, anxiety, anger,… He looked serene though but we could see that he’s close to explode.

We had a quick glance at Neka Museum because only Lindy who'd never been. We sat in canteen near the parking lot while waiting for her to finish her tour. We were happy to be able to have lunch before visiting Sika Gallery. We walked to Indus restaurant from the gallery. It was hot but fun to feel the real Bali sun. We changed tomorrow’s arrangement in dining table. We moved to Legian! So nice to be able to escape from this hotel. Ya, we plan to have fun in Legian after sessions tomorrow. Great!

We almost fell asleep at Sika Gallery. Peng said that everyone had crossed eyes. I was lazy yes. Sooo lazy to move. Pak Sika enjoyed talking about his experience that was actually fun to listen especially in fresh hours. Ladies had started to scatter around the big gallery searching for fun. It was bad.

The next visit was sister and brother that have Walter Spies style. They are sooo good, especially the sister – Galuh, that she’s able to build a very nice house from selling all of her paintings in an exhibition in Koln two years ago. Her work is super fine with details and subtle color. Wiranata, the brother, is okay too but it seems that Galuh is the star. Nice meeting them. It opens our horizon to see other style of Balinese paintings. Not traditional, nor modern.

Now we begged for coffee break. The ladies were in bad shape and we still had half an hour to the next appointment. We went to Nomad restaurant and waited for long for our order. We ran a bit late for the last appointment of today, Mary Northmore, the wife of the late well-known Abdul Aziz.

Mary is energetic as ever and it’s always fun to listen to her story about how she established the women’s artist gallery in Ubud. She is British and has lived in Ubud long time. Her effort to promote women artists is amazing. I admire her dedication and commitment to make things happen in the land far away from her origin. She is beautiful.

I ran out of battery after the last stop. I preferred to stay in hotel with Jean while others go back to some artists to shop! I could not sleep but I long for my time alone. I need to pack my stuff properly too because we are leaving early and checking out tomorrow.

I felt like mau pulaaang

Photo of Kenyem’s garden.