Monday, April 23, 2007

Go For It!


Necklaces, friends, and Chiko have been waiting, a friend texted me last night. Right! My life is back since I got up. I had necklaces business in mind, friends poured me with texts and emails about Bali trip, I got a hundred descriptions from Museum Nasional to translate, and Chiko was crying softly filling my morning.

I was curious to know more about to be a vendor in a lady fair in Singapore. I visited the website, made a quick calculation, and will try to work it out later. I have two international pre-summer bazaars coming up that I have to have enough stock. I don’t have much time left since I have two more trips to make.

I consulted my ideas with Hess, my first customer. She replied to my email almost immediately from office that I appreciated so much. She just started to work in a new office, she hasn’t gotten full access to office system yet, that explains her immediate response :-)

I realized that I need to know more about my product after I met the Australian guy in Changi last evening. I felt a bit bad not knowing exactly how Balinese do various styles of silver bead. My homework to do next week, find out! And today I learned about the down of an ideal creation as a result of commercial considerations. Hess thought that some of my creations do not use the ‘right’ clasp. I actually forgot what I made last week but I know now… Yes, I used clasps I bought in bulk last week that I also thought a bit busy for my simple lines but I had no choice. The simple ones cost twice and more! Actually, it depends on the way we look at it, the way we appreciate the work,… but I take Hess’ point seriously. I have to look at the necklaces again to review and change if necessary. Hess and I have same problem, we both have very short hair, and necklace’s clasp becomes an important issue as it shows on our neck!

I also have to think about how to display my gemstone and funky glass/wood necklaces. I really have to separate them to make sure people don’t appreciate the gemstone less because of the funky lines. Not many can appreciate art in its proportion. Only ones with artist eyes can do :-)

Anyway, I had long discussion with Hess till noon before enjoying Mbak Ida’s hands scrubbing me. It’s so good to have her in the right time. I was tired! It energized me in the afternoon. I have made 3 necklaces so far and will do more in the rest of the evening.

I’m firm now. I will go for overseas bazaar in June. I have to start somewhere to know my strength and the time is NOW.

Photo of my new creation using man-made turquoise that is cleverly called ‘simulated turquoise’.