Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Anewgirl..


Hess came to pick me up around 16:30 yesterday. We were going to see Laila in Citos mall. We tried to spend more time with Laila in her short visit. Hess insisted to pick me up because she was excited to see my necklaces. I showed her the finished ones and the other 30 in queue. She was curious to see mine as well. She always likes what I have for myself since I started FRA. She liked to peek in my textile collection because we are both crazy for old textile.

We were half an hour late to leave house for Citos mall because Hess took time to order this and that. She decided on the one that I have the picture in this blog – blue turquoise with red coral and a big silver ball. I say I really liked to see it on you, very Hess. And she say Don't tell me you have background in economics.

Later Laila decided to take sweet green jasper stone in classic style. It took Amalia long time to decide three necklaces. She decided the most expensive I had in the first batch – red coral and black onyx with a big silver ball. I’m glad to know what they think about my necklaces, they say it looks natural because it’s asymmetrical and not too much for daily. That’s exactly my concept: natural, simple but funky / unusual, and use good quality material. I know my market target.

In the end of the day, 3 of 17 necklaces – my first batch – are taken. I’m excited to realize that I have set the right concept for my design. Now I look forward to create some more based on their feedback. I haven’t finished the material I have so can create more. And also, Hess and Amal trust me to design ethnic necklaces using their precious old beads so they can wear their treasure. So nice!

It was a hilarious get together in our favorite restaurant last night. I interviewed Laila about her success story meeting husband through dot-com. It’s a brave thing to do in a nowhere land away from home and the US, her home before South Africa. We had a good laugh to know her username for the dot-com – anewgirlinsouthafrica. She got response from anewboyinsouthafrica of course. I asked the other two singles, Hess and Lisa, whether they would go through same process to find their men. Hess was not interested in spending time to ‘establish’ a relationship while Lisa preferred to wait.

And more about long distance relationship that many do not believe but Amal has passed 7 years having such relationship. We learned about odd flight route to meet loved one in other part of the world. Now we know why such route exists, some businesses and love stories are odd enough to use the route. Guam to Bali? :-)

Before we were off, we shared what we want to do in the last part of our life. Laila and Nuri haven’t decided the place but already looking and considering. Only Amal and I who could tell where we want to go. It seems that only Hess who would stay in Jakarta. The rest would be in cities in the US and Europe. I would be in Indonesia tho accompanying Hess when she is on holiday... in Ubud :-)

Photo of us last night.